What's new

Where do I start with this pump problem???

A.Milton

Reaction score
Today I encountered a bay that had no water coming thru wand...pump running hot in mech room and would not shut off with switch on rack in mech room. Had to unplug the pump. I’m not sure where to start with this I’m not seeing the connection with no water at wand, pump running and will not shut off. Any suggestions where to start...

DiamondWash

Reaction score
Sounds like a stuck contactor and no water getting to the pump. The solenoid isn't coming open to allow water to the pump.

MEP001

Reaction score
The "no water" is most likely a damaged pump. Like DiamondWash said that's probably a stuck contactor, usually fused contacts.

A.Milton

Reaction score
Well had a water inlet to pump obstructing water to pump., checked seals etc inside pump, all appeared fine. .Plugged pump in and so far it is cooperating. I’ll let ya know if it continues or another problem is found. Thank you for your response it was most helpful. I did not have to reset contractor so that has me puzzled but I have learned there are times if “ it ain’t broke don’t attempt to fix”. Maybe I caught it in time?

Randy

Reaction score
What kind of pump are we talking about? The pump should have destroyed itself if it had been running for any length of time. I'd be a little concerned as to why the motor was running. Bad timer, relay, motor contactor, something made the motor stay on.

A.Milton

Reaction score
What kind of pump are we talking about? The pump should have destroyed itself if it had been running for any length of time. I'd be a little concerned as to why the motor was running. Bad timer, relay, motor contactor, something made the motor stay on.
It is a cat 310. I am concerned as to why pump would not shut off too. Pump was hot to touch. Keeping a close eye on it. I figured the toggle switch for free, off and quarter settings would at least need replaced...🤔. I’ll keep ya updated on situation, it doesn’t make sense to me either. Line obstruction and power to pump are 2 entirely different areas.

MEP001

Reaction score
They may be different areas, but they're both problems that need to be addressed. If the motor stuck on for whatever reason, it will probably do it again. Is it possible you caught it after someone had put time on the meter and it was just still running? That would be conveniently lucky.