What's new

When/how often to change vac bags

Noob

Reaction score
Is there a set time/interval to change bags? Im assuming vac performance goes down when the bags are no longer good? Is there a way to test and see how well the vacs are sucking?

Rfreeman

Reaction score
I wash my in a coin laundry mat nearby 2xs a year other than that dust them off every 2 weeks when we clean vacs and leave them alone. I only change them if they are torn or ripped. As far as you vacs sucking get a vac test gauge from KR

Noob

Reaction score
When you dust them off do you actually take them out of the vac or leave them in place and dust them? Any idea what a vacuum should suck on a test gauge?

Rfreeman

Reaction score
No I actually slap them a few times to knock some of the dust off and use a shop vac to clean out the vac. I'll have to double check my notes on the gauge reading

Noob

Reaction score
Thanks rfreeman! I appreciate the help and insight 👍

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I take mine out about twice a year, turn them inside out and clean them real good with a high power leaf blower. Then take them to the laundry mat and run them through a High Boy washer...As for cleaning in-between, I shake the filter bags down right before cleaning out the vacs. About every 3 weeks or more often if its been busy..

Noob

Reaction score
How often do you guys replace your motor and door gaskets?

Rfreeman

Reaction score
It's been a while since I've replaced my motor gasket. The door gaskets I found using foam weather stripping has really worked well vs. buying gaskets from KR or Coleman etc.

Rfreeman

Reaction score
I run all Coleman equipment so I was getting it from them but I use foam weather stripping now from Home Depot. Motor brushes between 9 to 12 months.

Randy

Reaction score
In August or early September I replace the vac motor brushes, remove the bags and install my spare set and replace the door gaskets. I buy the gasket material online, it's a better quality than what I found at my Home Depot or Lowes. There's nothing worse than having to work on a vacuum when it's raining sideways in the wind. In the late spring I'll check the vac motor brushes and if they need to be replaced I'll replace them again in the spring. We clean out our vac's 3 times a week to keep them at there park performance. Vacuums are the highest income generator at a car wash so keeping them working at there peak performance is important.

MEP001

Reaction score
I only clean the bags if I need to. That's usually after someone has sucked up so much water that the bags have gotten wet. I use the JE Adams bags with the spring bottom that snaps in, which are not only easier to change, they're a different material that almost doesn't trap dirt at all. Gaskets I do as needed, no reason for there to be a schedule. I run Domel motors and change all the brushes at the first of every even year.

Noob

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Is there anything else I’m missing maintenance wise that needs to be done on regular intervals for vacuums?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I don't clean bags,or replace door gaskets unless there is a performance issue. A while ago I posted photos of failed motors to show why I don't replace brushes.

Noob

Reaction score
I’ve J.E. Adams super vacs that have 3 motors each. On one of my vacs 2 of the 3 motors are not working. What’s the easiest way to determine my problem? Could it be brushes? Is it a failed motor? How do I tell?

Rfreeman

Reaction score
I always use the tool with the brush kit to check when I have a motor not working 9 times out of 10 if I go pass the mark on the tool that means the brushes are worn out...change the brushes problem fixed

Randy

Reaction score
First thing would be to check to see if you have power to the motors while the vac is running, use your voltmeter. If you have power to the motors replace the motors, always use the same motor that's already installed, different brand motors run a different RPM. Then with the motor on the work bench take the motor apart and teach yourself how to replace the brushes.

MEP001

Reaction score
I’ve J.E. Adams super vacs that have 3 motors each. On one of my vacs 2 of the 3 motors are not working. What’s the easiest way to determine my problem? Could it be brushes? Is it a failed motor? How do I tell?
It depends on the motors you're using. If it's the VMK19 from Kleen-Rite, I don't waste any bother changing the brushes if they're worn all the way down because they never last long once they've worn that far. The commutator always gets damaged and there's no fix for that.

Noob

Reaction score
These are the factory motors. I believe they’re electros.