What's new

Wheel wash bucket, brush and soap

Etowah

seattleguy

Reaction score
I want to add a few buckets and brushed for people to prewash their wheels before going into my IBA's. What brush and soap do you guys recomend? Something from Kleen Rite?

briteauto

Reaction score
In terms of the brush, I would not go for a really high-end brush because they will be stolen from you and will need to be replaced. Probably just some filament wheel brush from one of the suppliers. Longer bristles will get in the nooks better, but usually the longest bristles are boars hair, and again - I would not spend the money on those for something that will probably need frequent replacements.

As far as the chemical, you really cant fill a bucket with soap and expect the break dust to come off. Wheels need a higher concentration solution applied directly to the wheel and then the hp or friction - either machine or brush - to loosen the break dust. You really can't fill buckets with chemicals of this concentration, so you cannot expect great results. You also should not use anything with any bite to it since you are letting the general public handle it - same way self-seve presoaks are on the gentle side.

Maybe just use your self-serve rim cleaner, diluted down in a bucket for this purpose.

I'm sure others who have done this will have suggestions, but what I have outlined above is why I don't bother with letting people do this.

Good luck.

Mike

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Keep in mind that people will use them for things other than their wheels. I have the service station type windshield washing squeegee gizmos at my autos. Every day I see people scrubbing bugs off their bumpers, bird poop, etc. IMO, a brush and bucket of soap may entice some to prewash their whole car before entering. Just something to think about.

chaz

Reaction score
We have markVII gt700. Does a very nice job on most cars.....that is for those that don't wash every 6 months have have tons of bird and tree droppings. We have 4 bays for those that want to pre wash. We call them self serve bays and we charge $2 .00 for the first 4 minutes. I sell water and soap....if I start giving this away I will not be able o send my kids to college.

madstack

Reaction score
Why not just vend Simonize wheel cleaner from Kleen Rite? No brushes, buckets or chemical for people to steal or abuse, and a little coin in your pocket.

soapy

Reaction score
I have been using a prescrub bucket in front of my automatics for almost 20 years. People like the extra service. I use a small wheel wizard brush ( 4 inches wide) on a fiberglass handle. I have 30 gallon drums that I cut the top off of. I use a wheel and bug cleaner diluted down to a safe level. I also put out signs saying use on glass, rims and tires and bumpers. Do not use on PAINT. That stops people from scrubbing down the whole vehicle. It has worked well for me over the years.

Bucksavage

Reaction score
self serve wheel prep

A lot of good advice.

I look at it this way. How much would it cost to try this out? A brush ($20), a 30 gallon drum (probably have one) and some chemical ($10).

Your into it for $30 (probably high) and see what happens. The worst thing is it gets stolen the first day and thats the end of that experiment. Maybe some people really like it and that whole value added thing comes into play.

JustClean

Reaction score
My automatic dryer that goes over the car has a sign saying:
"For muddy cars consider a manual pre-clean in the self serve bay first."
This sign is right in the customer's face and it seem to work.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I too use the wheel wizards. I am in a good neighborhood, but do get a couple lifted a year. Usually it's the dregs that walk over from the SS bays. :)

I have a lot of European cars at my wash and they really put out the brake dust. IMO the hogs hair wheel wizard brush does a much better job than the nylon in getting in the cracks and crevices of the wheels, but they are considerably more expensive. The nylon do a better job on the tires. So I typically have one of each in a bucket shared by both lines.

I just use foam brush solution at my place. My SS tanks have a garden hose outlet on the bottom and I just attached a short length of hose and fill up the bucket. I use a 5 gallon bucket with a grit guard in the bottom. You must remove the handle or customers will grab it and walk around their vehicles with it, and never seem to put it back in the right place.

I do ave a disclaimer sign mounted on the wall above the bucket that tells customers not to let the solution dry on their car, to limit prep time, and we are not responsible blah, blah, blah...

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
cfcw,

Can you post a picture of your sign? Or detail the message in a post. I'd like to try this but need the proper signage as well.

ScottV

pgrzes

Reaction score
How bout, since you have SS bays, use your worn foam brush brushes?? And for an inexpensive handle, we have been using schedule 80 pvc pipe for years. They Home Depot sells it in perfect length, thread a coupling in put your swivel on one end your foam brush on the other and you have a really inexpensive foam brush handle!!! On a bad year we replace 2 handles!!!!!

Wash-it

Reaction score
Maybe not the best idea IDK?

Once you start preping vehicles (regardless if they are doing the preping or u are) it is very hard to take it back from your customers w/o making them feel like they have been robbed. If your auto and chemistry are set up properly you should not have to prep. I have to agree with the post stating "the self service is the place for you customers to pay to prep"
Too many things to go wrong letting customers prep at an auto. Could really slow the traffic ........

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Every carwash system has limitations inherent in it. Adding extras for free is a commitment I agree. I have free towel dry. You could also say that blowers set up properly should dry the car fine without need for towel drying too.

I am interested in this idea because I feel that customers are naturally more loyal towards a place that shows they care enough to give some 'spiffs'.

I give out tokens, air freshners, sodas, waters, and love:D. Try it and see what happens.

Etowah