What's new

What’s THE most overcomplicated equipment you’ve worked on?

OurTown

Reaction score
JE Adams 28000 6-in-1 is an unbelievable nightmare to diagnose wiring issues and there's two pounds of spaghetti equivalent in there.

MEP001

Reaction score
JE Adams 28000 6-in-1 is an unbelievable nightmare to diagnose wiring issues and there's two pounds of spaghetti equivalent in there.
And if you change the shampoo switch without turning off the power you'll fry the controller board.

OurTown

Reaction score
And if you change the shampoo switch without turning off the power you'll fry the controller board.

There is not a circuit board in this thing. You are thinking of the 29000 series machines and yes the board will fry in those if you are still running the older board that has the orange plugs on it. The newer replacement board is a different design and is robust.

MEP001

Reaction score
It makes me wonder how Doyle vacuums compares
Depends on the model. Their basic vacs are simple, but their original vac/fragrance/shampoo with an 8-position 4-stack rotary switch was insane. The switch cost something like $300 and took a couple hours to change with having to cut and remove 53 (Yes, I counted them) zip ties. Of course they used black ones, it would have been too easy to use white ones that the fluorescent bulb right behind all the wires could break down for you.

Reaction score
Oh jeez, also I wonder why no other manufacturer apart from The occasional few, as to why they don’t use cartridge filters on their vacuums Or even why they don’t use a cyclone, if you’ve seen those little cyclones that are used for woodworking and dust extraction, I bet if someone stuck
Two of those, In a normal vacuum, the filter bags would be nearly clean

MEP001

Reaction score
The cyclone dust extractors cause a huge loss in volume and suction if they work well enough to separate the finest dirt and dust.

Reaction score
It doesn’t have to be absolutely perfect I just gotta get all the stuff that clogs up the bags or that clogs the cartridge filters

MEP001

Reaction score
The stuff that clogs up my vac bags is the stuff a Thein baffle filter is not good at removing.

I have thought about removing the bags in one of my vacs and putting in a couple pleated filters to see if the trash that fills the bags will just settle out.

Reaction score
In my opinion you should give it a try, you could potentially have more filter area compared to the bags, plus if you put a stocking over it it’ll help keep large particles out of the filter

MEP001

Reaction score
In my opinion you should give it a try, you could potentially have more filter area compared to the bags, plus if you put a stocking over it it’ll help keep large particles out of the filter
I'd probably put a sponge filter like the kind in a shop vac over it and dust them off every day.

Reaction score
OK, you probably should have a cartridge filter underneath that foam filter because I’ve seen a lot of people just use a foam filter and it ends up killing the vacuum as fine dust gets into the bearings and commutators

MEP001

Reaction score
OK, you probably should have a cartridge filter underneath that foam filter because I’ve seen a lot of people just use a foam filter and it ends up killing the vacuum as fine dust gets into the bearings and commutators
Of course, I said I may try pleated (cartridge) filters and would probably put a sponge filter over it.

patkelly1336

Reaction score
While not technically considered equipment, I would have to say anything related to DRB Systems equipment. I guess I could add in 1 piece belt sprockets where you have to pull the entire shaft to replace sprockets

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
2010 BMW X5. No dipstick for engine oil. You need to 'register' the battery if you install a replacement. ETC.

Reaction score
Oh my god, and isn’t that also the company that asked you to pay for a subscription for heated seats even though the equipment is already installed? It’s like A car wash company saying “oh sorry you have to pay $25 a month to turn on your hot water solenoids ”