What's new

What's most difficult maintenance/ tech help, to get onsite?

soonermajic

Reaction score
Im gonna say RO / Water Softener guys. They do so many easy home maintenance & installs, they don't even wanna touch car washes. I believe that if anyone wanted to do that in the DFW Metroplex, they could be a millionaire in 24 mos.!!
They could easily command $200/hr or even more.

Wash4Life

Reaction score
Im gonna say RO / Water Softener guys. They do so many easy home maintenance & installs, they don't even wanna touch car washes. I believe that if anyone wanted to do that in the DFW Metroplex, they could be a millionaire in 24 mos.!!
We're lucky in that we have mechanics who can solve those issues.

For us, it's dealing with people to fix floor heat/boiler issues.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Reasonably priced softener service. Softener heads are the only things I've never bothered to learn how to work on since I only have had to deal with them a handful of times in 30 years. I can replace the head on a softener for what the locals charge to come service one.

MEP001

Reaction score
There's a local company that charges a small fortune for anything softener related. 30 years ago they put a USED head on a charcoal filter and charged TWICE what I can get a whole complete vessel for NOW.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It doesn't seem like you'd ever need to pay somebody to work on a softener. It's two tanks and a head on mine. I replaced a leaking tank once and that's about it. The hardest thing was moving the old one with all the heavy wet sand in it. Other than that there was nothing to it.

I used to shy away from boiler repair, but my good buddy came to help me a couple times so I have some confidence now with these pieces of equipment. There's not a lot to the boilers either. The burner tray, gas valve, heat exchanger, Circulator pump and some basic electronic controls/igniter.

ShinePro

Reaction score
I just spent $5000. Last year putting new beds in my pair of tanks. Chlorine water is hard on them. Then in almost 4 weeks I had more issues. Couple of small parts in the head needed replaced.
I spent last winter educating myself on commercial softeners.
I agree with Coach - softeners have been my worst experience.
But now I know how to take apart a Fleck 2900 head!

water guy

Reaction score
I would rather work for an Owner Operator any Day and that's what I do I don't have time for dysfunctional millennials .

water guy

Reaction score
I would rather work for an Owner Operator any Day and that's what I do I don't have time for dysfunctional millennials .
What I meant Was that I do take care of a lot of water treatment systems for Carwashs and Commercial Accounts .I would rather do that then deal with residential and the young millennial couples.

soonermajic

Reaction score
What I meant Was that I do take care of a lot of water treatment systems for Carwashs and Commercial Accounts .I would rather do that then deal with residential and the young millennial couples.
Gotcha,& 100% agree.

KFPanda

Reaction score
The young ones (mid 20s) are Gen Z in case you needed to feel older today.