What's new

What Would You Do?

Chiefs

Reaction score
For the last 15 months or so, we have been putting expiration dates on our Frequent Washer Cards.

The terms of the Frequent Washer Program are as follows. When you wash your car and pay the regualr price you receive a card which carries an expiration date 13 months from now. The card has the numbers 1-10 at the bottom. Each time you wash (any car) we punch the card with a specially designed punch that only we have.

When the card has been punched 10 times, you then have to fill in your name address and phone number so we can add to our datebase (we have over 4,000 so far) and you can redeem it for a free wash.

The question is what do you do with people who try and redeem the card 14 or 15 months later? Do you take them despite they the customer has in no way come close to the definition of frequent? Or do you inform them that its not an infrequent washer card an d not accept it?

Bill

MEP001

Reaction score
If it's just 2 or 3 months after the expiration, I'd probably still take it. Denying it will probably just **** them off and make them leave, never to return. They may not be a loyal or regular customer, but they're still a customer. Is it worth losing them over a free wash?

At some point though you'll either have to enforce the expiration date or ignore it altogether, but whether or not the card is expired, they have at least met one criteria, which is purchasing 10 washes.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
I'd ask what difference does it make when they use it, 10 washes IMO should be the only requirement. When I get an "offer" for anything, if there is much in the way of restrictions, I throw it away.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
Theyre only 1 month late - thats what, about 93% of your requirements fulfilled? Maybe they missed a couple times because the weather was bad.
I'd say they are a frequent washer & give them the freebie.

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
When I had my tunnel wash we had the same program. We didn't get a huge number of them that came in after the expiration date. When we did, we ignored it.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
My thought would be: If you give it to them, they'll most likely come back again and pay for the next one. If you deny them the free wash, they'll most likely NOT come back. Which would be more costly to your biz?

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
My thought would be: If you give it to them, they'll most likely come back again and pay for the next one. If you deny them the free wash, they'll most likely NOT come back. Which would be more costly to your biz?
I agree, you lose virtually nothing by giving the free wash. You lose 10 washes in the next 14 months if you don't. I wouldn't have given it a second thought.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
All of our coupons have expiration dates when they are printed. No matter the expiration date, we will still honor the coupon if it is presented. I think you should make the customer aware of the expiration date, but still allow the free wash or whatever is being offered.

jprb

Reaction score
If you point out that the card is expired-
"It looks like your card is expired, sir."
But accept it anyway-
"I'll go ahead and give you your free wash today."
It makes you look like the good guy and is a very positive experience for YOUR customer.

JPRB

MEP001

Reaction score
I wouldn't point out that the card is expired. I say this because I've been a customer at a store and had someone tell me I'd waited longer than their 15-day return policy to return an item that didn't work, even though they still gave me a refund. It made me feel like I'd done something wrong by coming in to exchange a defective item and made the experience uncomfortable. I can't see that pointing out to your customers that they're in the wrong can do any good. If you're going to accept the expired card, I'd say take it and make no mention of it being expired. If the customer points out that it's expired and asks if they can still use it, then say "Sure, we'll still take it," and that'll make you "look like the good guy."

pitzerwm

Reaction score
I think that there is a big difference to a coupon and a wash card. With the wash card they full filled their obligation, it just took a little longer, on the coupon they just showed up. It could go either way, but something to think about it. If the coupon was to get them in there on a certain day/week and they wait longer, it defeats your program, if it doesn't matter, then honor it and don't say anything.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
With the exception of the 5 day clean car guarantee, I do not enforce any expiration dates. However, if they strat coming in with Bulk purchase tickets that have expired they are gently reminded of the expiration and I swap any expired tickets for new ones with a short expiration date.

I believe the goodwill factors outwheigh all else, particularly when it is a ticket they payed for as opposed to some free $ off coupon they may have gotten.