What's new

What wire should I run to my meter boxes?

Reaction score
I am in the process of remodeling a wash right now. Last weekends task was removing the meter boxes so I could replace them with larger ones that have 10 position rotary switches and card readers. I dont understand yet how everything is wired into the bay and figure I will learn that much when I get there.

For now I am wondering if I need to pull new wire to each box so that I can increase the amount of functions that were being used previously? Right now each bay has 2 cables with 5 wires in each strand (I know the picture has 3 cables but its an outliar next to the ER) and also a speaker wire that goes to a speaker up by the boom.

I am thinking I want to just pull new wire because it will never again be this easy. What gauge should I run? How many total wires do I need for all functions?

Should I also run a CAT6 in case my Nayax readers need to be hardwired to an internet connection? T-Mobile cell service is really bad at the site.

Attachments

MEP001

Reaction score
This should be more conductors than you could ever need. I haven't found anything at a better price by a long margin. You can go as small as 22 ga. but bigger is always better.

Cat 6e wire is really cheap. It certainly wouldn't hurt to run some to the bays.

Can you make your photos smaller? I could almost make something out in one of them.

Dan kamsickas

GinSan Technician
Reaction score
Pull new wire. For the cost and effort you will save yourself a ton of potential headaches. I have dealt with a lot of people who tried to save a bit of money and time trying to reuse wiring like yours and it never turns out well. The 15 conductor MEP posted is enough for now with a 10 position rotary switch. You should have a couple spare wires left over for future use with that.

soapy

Reaction score
KR also sells a bundle with a few more wires for a little more. I always use it so I have plenty of extra wires.