What's new

What to use for grates?

APW

Reaction score
These SS pits are kind of wide and wondering if I can use the fiberglass grating from Kleenrite? They are 42" x 78". I sawed out a recessed lip around the pit for the grate to set down in. What would ya'll recommend?

pgrzes

Reaction score
I think the same grates are a little less expensive from TSS Sign.

MEP001

Reaction score
I looked into fiberglass grates once. At 1 1/2" thick they can only take 230 pounds with a 42" span, so not only will you need to reinforce the span with steel you'll have to cut way deeper for them to be flush.

I'd look for a local company who can cut down and weld up edges on grate stock.

Last edited:

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
I like the fiberglass grates in our tunnels but I would not use them in the ss bays. Their light weight would make them easy for someone to steal.

Keith Baker

Keith Baker
Reaction score
My pits are about the same dimension as yours, and I have two of them with 1 1/2" fiberglass. I reinforced them with two pieces of angle iron across the 40" span. I've pulled my 3/4 ton pickup onto them and they don't bow at all. I purchased them from a company called Versa-Grate several years ago when the metal ones were getting stolen. They had a good price and service, but I don't know if they are still around.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
My pits are about the same dimension as yours, and I have two of them with 1 1/2" fiberglass. I reinforced them with two pieces of angle iron across the 40" span. I've pulled my 3/4 ton pickup onto them and they don't bow at all. I purchased them from a company called Versa-Grate several years ago when the metal ones were getting stolen. They had a good price and service, but I don't know if they are still around.
Keith,

If we did that ... our luck would be some even heavier forklift being washed would have a wheel right where the fiberglass would be vulnerable. I did what Mep suggested. A long term friend welding fabricator & supply local out Glenn's Welding ... even though Glenn has lots of employees ... he himself personally looked at our deteriorating metal ... & next thing we knew he had the stock grating modified by one of his fabricators. That was a few years ago ... so far no problems. We lock up at 10PM & hopefully attended & busy enough so the metal for scrap criminal activity has been a non issue for us so far. Something tells me he did better than a sometimes "fly by night" know it all engineer!