What's new

What to do when driving a Hertz Rental and the check engine light comes on?

P

Patrick H. Crowe

I called the Hertz 800 number. Ray told me to drive it to the nearest Hertz office, 28 miles away and they would probably give me a different car.. I asked if he was seriously telling me to try and drive a car in that condition, 28 miles? It's up to you was his reply.

Next I asked him to call this office which would "probably" have a replacement car to be sure they had one. On hold. Ray tells me they are open but not answering their phone so he left them a mesage to call him and he'd call me. Never hear from Ray.

Call the 800 number hours later. Now I'm told this problem must be solved by the office which rented me that car. They open at 6 am and I'll hear from them. Never did. I call againn, repeat the tale.

I'll have a replacement car within 2 hours. Did not happen.

What should I have done then?

Patrick H. Crowe

Eric H

Reaction score
If you are up at 3:15AM worrying about this you should really have you medication adjusted.;)

A check engine light could indicate a number of minor problems. The most common problem is a gas cap that is not tightened correctly.
If the check engine light is on it is OK to continue to drive the car. If the light is flashing you should pull over immediately as this is an indication of a "major" system problem. But, you knew that right? Because you did read the entire owners manual before you began driving the car.
If I did not feel safe continuing to drive this car I would simply return it and request another one.
Now you know what I would do. But, I have to ask myself WWPHCD? (What would Patrick H. Crowe do?) He would be up all night worrying about the situation. Then after having the situation resolve to his satisfaction begin a letter writing campaign to have Ray fired from his job. The letters would surely include the phrase "craven hoax" and a request for a delivery of yellow roses just in case Hertz misspells Crowe.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I once drove a rental car over 2,000 miles with the check engine light on. I had called the rental car company as soon as it came on and they told me essentially the same thing Eric said.

Danny

Reaction score
I would have asked for the number of the rental office 28 miles away and bugged them too. Then told them that they needed to have someone from the "close" or "convient" rental office deliver a different car to my location and take this car since it is not mechanical order and I am not a mechanic able to evaluate the situation. I would also ask for a credit for the days that the car is/was not running properly. Will this work? Who knows! But hey it is worth a try. If they told me to "keep driving" the car. I would ask that they put a note on my account that I requested a different vehicle and was told to "keep driving" this car. That way if it is something more serious you are not in anyway held liable for possible damage. :D

My wife and I are going to north Florida this weekend for a wedding. With my luck I will end up with the biggest hoopty beater car on the rental lot. :confused:

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I didn't ask for another car but did request to put on record that I called them to report the problem. BTW - I didn't have any problems with the car. The light was still on when I returned the car. I told the attendant about it but he didn't seem to care. I would never buy an off rental car for that reason alone.

Etowah

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Hell, drive the thing until it blows up and tell them where it is. Sadly, there is a sad lacking of customer service, or service after the sale. I have a few issues here that will probably end up in front of a judge, because people don't respond until you kick them in the nuts with legal action. They assume that you will just walk away and the employee doesn't see past quiting time, they don't care because management doesn't seem to care either. The keynote speaker at the WCA show was great and hit on this very thing.

A little common sense here, check the oil, check the water and drive the thing.

P

Patrick H. Crowe

Bill:

I agree some places, perhaps many, have poor customer service. Still many places have excellent customer service.

I do not believe "a kick in the nuts" and a trip to the court is the real solution on matters as imple as the rental car. I'll cite a few examples.

1. You probably know the Nordstrom's CEO story about the tire so I'll skip it.

2. At most of the places we eat out I am known by name and greeted that way. I know the names of many wait persons and they know mine. The owner is very apt to check at my table. It'd superb C. S.

3. There are several restaurants where I will never eat again and I tell folks why, over and over again - -poor service.

4. The Osco drug store here was bought by CVS. I felt I got terrible customer service. I wrote a letter about the employee who threatened me and then moved all my business across the street to Walgreens. CVS got told why.

5. I attribute much of the decline in customer service to people who do not write to management and state the facts of what was wrong.

At my washes, any complaint, no matter unreasonable was greeted with: "Would you prefer a full refund or to wash you car again at my expense?" Said with a smile that disarmed almost all folks. If they phoned the answering service they got a full refund (no matter what amount) a signed letter of apology, an invitation to "give us another try" and of course, a couple free tokens.

Patronize the places with good service; let the folks with poor sirvice hear about it and do business elsewhere.

Patrick H. Crowe