What's new

What to do??? part 2 Direct Drive vs Belt

TJ1

Reaction score
Direct drive.JPG dh direct drive.jpeg

First a comment to Martins-I liked your thread title so I copied it....thank you.

The vintage D/H hydra cell has not been spoken kindly of on the forums......I am considering a new direct drive. Am I buying a future problem or should I keep my current cat 310 belt drives.

Randy

Reaction score
So what's wrong with your belt drive Cat 310 pump system?

TJ1

Reaction score
It is currently trouble free 1983 (39 years) One pump still has the D/H sticker on the cat. .....Doing a remodel and considering upgrading for the next 40 years.

Toms PTcarwash

Reaction score
I personally would not want a direct drive system, unless it was there when I bought, the wash.
I also have at least one (I think two) original D/H labels on my 310's from 1999.
If they have served you well for 39 years, that's saying a lot!

MEP001

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of direct drive. Other than a small savings on space, I don't see any advantage. Direct drive is noisier, replacement motors are significantly more expensive, and it's more difficult to service. The pumps tend to not last as long because they're running 1750 RPM instead of about half that with typical belt drive setup. A good quality cog type V-belt properly fitted and tightened should last at least ten years.