What's new

What to do? Damage Claim

easywash

Reaction score
Somehow the door to your garbage enclosure swung open.

Later that day a customer backed up and hit the open door.

There is damage to the vehicle.

Customer has spent nearly $2K at your site in the last 4 years.

What do you do... Payout the damage claim?

bigleo48

Reaction score
Somehow the door to your garbage enclosure swung open.

Later that day a customer backed up and hit the open door.

There is damage to the vehicle.

Customer has spent nearly $2K at your site in the last 4 years.

What do you do... Payout the damage claim?
If you can confirm this (like with video), then I would pay it.

Mr. Clean

Reaction score
That's a great customer. Do you have enough of a relationship with him to suggest that he file a claim with his insurance company and you cover the deductible. Yes, the door was in the wrong place, but he was behind the wheel and presumably in control. Some strategically placed cones should provide a buffer from future liability.

At the end of the day, I'd make him happy. The gov't is only going to take it anyway!

MC

easywash

Reaction score
My thoughts about the damage.

He's a long time customer and I know my staff sometimes forgets to close it properly so I don't contest that that accident happened as explained.

I just got of copy of the damage photos, it's not insignificant. He actually punched a whole through the fiberglass of the wheel cowling.

My thought was to propose we share the fault 50/50. He puts it through his insurance and I cover the deductible.

Usually I deny any claim like this as the door wasn't moving and he was in control of the vehicle. But like I said he's been a long time customer who's spent a lot of money with me and I certainly don't want him to go away.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
What ever happened to Pat Crowe?
How did you associate Pat Crowe with backing into a trash enclosure?

Bill banned him a couple of years ago. Shortly thereafter I saw that he ticked off some guys on the PCD forum and they told him to get lost. The antagonism and animosity dropped about 95% when he vacated the premises. I've seen an article or two by him in one of the mags, Auto Laundry I think.