What's new

What temp of hp is ideal for removing bugs

el jefe

el jefe
Reaction score
I use hp prep in the spring summer and fall.... This year we added a tankless water heater... We currently use Ecolab 3692 pretreat.... Was wondering what temp the water coming out of the pressure washer should be to ideally to remove the bugs... I also use adjustable nozzles that got from 180 to zero... the fan 180 works great...

briteauto

Reaction score
Obviously, the hotter it is, the quicker it will remove them. You just have to balance the cost of a few extra seconds for your employees to spend on them (if it is cooler) vs. the increase in cost of utilities to heat the water (if it is hotter). Also consider if time is a factor, and if you really need to remove them as quickly as possible due to volume demands and not being able to let the chemical dwell, or if that bit of extra time does not matter.

I know a lot of operators who use a good bug chemical and use cold water for hp guns. If your chemical is good and you can let it dwell long enough, heating the water may be overkill.

Generally, presoak shouldn't be heated over 115 or so - might be a good rule of thumb to keep that as your upper limit for your hp guns too.

el jefe

el jefe
Reaction score
I fully understand the time vs cost vs quality issue... The answer I'm looking for is what temp is BEST.... I have operated detail shops with steam genies pumping 180degrees... THey work great!!! but I think a bit excessive...unless working on tar or heavy debris... I didn't know if any operators have had the same dilemma... I'm trying to size a system--- 10 gpm pump--- tap water temp is 60 deg.... I'm not worried about cost as much as I am speed and quality....

dirty harry

Reaction score
The self-service car wash association commissioned a study with the University of Texas about 30 years ago to determine the ideal balance of conditions for cleaning in a wand style car wash. The answer was 120 degrees @ 900-1000 psi @ 3.5 gpm. As I am sure you know, pre-soaking will make the job much easier.
Good luck!

Etowah

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
Over the years I have found that the best temp. is around 107 degrees at the tip.
Saying that though means that the water heater has to be adjusted due to the time of the season. I never go above 120.
I believe keeping the tip temp. at 107 gives me the best cleaning temp. without wasting energy.