What's new

What size High Pressue Hose do you use in the bay?

Etowah

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Is it just easier to use with two swivels or is there another reason to have them at both ends?

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I only use a swivel at the gun end. I do get a twist now and then that seems to not want to come out without spinning the gun around. This would probably happen less with a swivel at the boom end, but I don't want to have to drag out the ladder to replace it, so it's just one for me.

MEP001

Reaction score
It does make it easier for the customer when there are two swivels. One at either end is really enough for function, but you'd be surprised how much nicer it is when there are two. Try it in a bay and see if you can tell an improvement.

You'll want a 1' "swivel saver" hose between the boom and the top swivel, otherwise the lateral pull will wear the swivel out faster.

I like that our booms will flex a full 90? so that I can change a hose without a ladder at all. I use a quick-disconnect just below the swivel saver so I can swap out a hose in a couple of seconds.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
Years ago I had a lady spray herself in the face (I had one swivel on the hose) because she was trying to get the hose untangled. She was not happy.
So I put swivels on both ends and the problem was solved.

Shane

Reaction score
Years ago I had a lady spray herself in the face (I had one swivel on the hose) because she was trying to get the hose untangled. She was not happy.
That's funny right there, I don't care who you are.

Well I put the 1/4" hose in the bay. I will try it out for the next few weeks to see if I like it vs. the 3/8" hose. I used the previous swivel up at the boom that was from the old hose. I will probably buy new swivels for both ends next.

bigleo48

Reaction score
I use 3/8'" hose, swivels at both ends and reusable screw on connectors.

The first place the hose starts to go is at the gun bend. So I make the hose 15' instead of 14' and when I see back cracking, I shorten the hose by a foot. So the hose lasts twice as long.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I can sympathize with that lady! I don't know how many times I've sprayed my legs and feet doing that!

As for where the hose goes bad first, I find it interesting that it happens near the gun for you. I tend to find my bursts at the bottom of the curve as it hangs on the wall. I assumed it might be because that's where the chemical and water rests until the next user. Maybe my hoses are just weird! :p

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
Last month I had another lady that was holding the gun in her hand when she deposited her money.
The hose had a break by the gun so she threw the gun so she wouldn't get wet.
The gun came back and busted her in the mouth and hit her Escalade.
The car was alright but she needed new bridgework for her mouth.
Bottom line the dental bill was $3,300.
The insurance company was ready to pay the bill but when they tried to get her past dental work info to make sure this was ligit she called me all ****ed off telling me "we" will have to get attorneys involve and wanted me to call her right away.
I talked to the my agent and she said not to call that it was standard procedure on their part and if she any issues she needed to address them to the insurance co.
So far I haven't heard anything from her.

MEP001

Reaction score
Jeff L said:
I tend to find my bursts at the bottom of the curve as it hangs on the wall.
My guess would be that your hoses are too long and are wearing through where they drag on the ground.

Shane

Reaction score
You'll want a 1' "swivel saver" hose between the boom and the top swivel, otherwise the lateral pull will wear the swivel out faster.

I like that our booms will flex a full 90? so that I can change a hose without a ladder at all. I use a quick-disconnect just below the swivel saver so I can swap out a hose in a couple of seconds.
MEP,
Do you happen to have a picture of your set up. It sounds pretty nice. I am assuming it's all individual components that you've pieced together into a nice little system.

Shane

Bud

NE Ohio
Reaction score
I B, my hoses are about 10 ft to 10 ft 6 in from the end of the boom. From the end of the boom back to the boom swivel is another 5 or 6 ft. If I had 13 1/2 ft from the end of the boom to the gun they would constantly be dragging on the floor. I only need enough to get around a car or pick up w/cap. Any more just gets in the customers way. They still reach to clean the bays. My bays are about 28 ft. long.

Wally

Reaction score
JMMustang, something don`t sound right. If you have a properly working trigger gun and in your case a hole in the hose, the gun shouldn`t jump around and come back and hit somebody. If someone drops it or throws it, it can`t come back at you. And even if the trigger gun was defective and you had a hole in the hose it wouldn`t come back at you. You need to cut your hose shorter, they shouldn`t be dragging the floor.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Hey MEP, how do those quick connect fittings work out for you? I was thinking about doing the same thing to speed up change time when installing a new hose. I don't know how well those fittings will work when I have a constant weep on in the middle of February.

MEP001

Reaction score
They work very well - I use the stainless plug fittings and the brass sockets. I sometimes have to replace the o-ring in the sockets, and the plugs alwo wear out over time which is why I use the stainless ones. No one's ever tried to tamper with them, and it's really nice to keep an assembly made up and ready to make a bay hose change a 3-second job if a wand gets broken on a busy Saturday.

From the boom there's a 1' hose with male into the boom and female at the bottom, a male stainless plug into the hose, a female-threaded socket below that, then the swivel and hose. I started out with the swivel above the disconnect before I realized it was easier to have it below.