What's new

What size High Pressue Hose do you use in the bay?

Shane

Reaction score
One of my hoses blew out on my high pressure gun in the bay (the lower portion that connects to the gun). I have three self serve bays so I figured I might as well buy new ones for all three. I currently have about a 14' hose from the connection at the end of the boom to the gun. Currently I have 3/8" hose. I have seen some folks who use 1/4" hose. I am thinking the 1/4" hose might be a better way to go because it's lighter so your hand would not get as tired moving the hose/gun around.

What do you guys use, 1/4" or 3/8" hose for the portion by the gun? The other portions of hose (pump to top of bay, top of bay into the boom) are 3/8".

Thanks!
Shane

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
3/8" from the pump to the bay, then 1/4" for the part that the customer controls. Also, put the swivel at the gun, which makes it even easier for the customer to handle.

Shane

Reaction score
Good information. Currently I believe the swivel is at the top of the hoses.

Do you guys buy your hoses at a local store or is a there a good place on-line? I did not find any pre-made hoses at Kleen-Rite. There is a Parker store near me that I will use tomorrow to get the hoses, but an on-line source would be handy too.

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
Good information. Currently I believe the swivel is at the top of the hoses.

Do you guys buy your hoses at a local store or is a there a good place on-line? I did not find any pre-made hoses at Kleen-Rite. There is a Parker store near me that I will use tomorrow to get the hoses, but an on-line source would be handy too.
I have a crimping machine, fittings and bulk 1/4 or 3/8 hose. I make my own. You drive by my wash daily. I'd be glad to make up what you need at my cost. Those "stores" can be a little pricey.

Bud

NE Ohio
Reaction score
Shane, I use 3/8 from pump to boom swivel. From the boom swivel to the gun is 1/4. I use two swivels. One where the 1/4 comes out of the end of the boom and the other at the gun. I have found over the years that just one swivel at the gun still lets the hose curl. You can buy the hoses premade with fittings already on them or buy the hose and reusable fittings and do them yourself. Make sure either way that you get hose savers on one end which goes at the gun. By the way, I don't know what standard length is but 14 ft from the end of the boom to gun seems a bit much. Mine are around 10'6" and there seems to be plenty.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
My hoses are about 13 1/2 ft. I can't imagine getting by with 3 ft. less. You must have very short bays. I also have a crimper and make my own. Putting on a bend restrictor is no problem unless I forget to slide it on before installing the fitting. If I forget, that hose doesn't get one.

Twodose

Reaction score
I use a Parker Crimper and crimp my own. 3/8" from pump to wand. Although I may try using 1/4 from the boom down.

By the way I use parker parflex 560-6 3/8" hose. I just got a price of 3.79 per ft for 500 ft. reel ! Outrageous, last time I bought cost just 1.62 per ft.

MEP001

Reaction score
I don't like 1/4" high-pressure hose - it doesn't last as long, and it reduces the pressure at the gun. I use 3/8" with swivels at both ends, and it's very easy to handle.

I quit using bend restrictors - I check the hoses every day and replace them if there are visible signs that one is about to break. The last time I had a high-pressure hose break on a customer was when it burst under the bend restrictor. Hoses are cheap compared to unhappy customers.

The last batch of hoses I ordered were from Windtrax. You can order them online quite easily, you select the color, length and fittings for each end. They're the only ones who've ever sent me the hoses at the correct length I ordered - Kleen-Rite's last batch were all too short, two of 'em by 8".

I have a hand crimper (Actually a swager) and can get the fittings, but between pulling out the equipment, cutting the hoses and the work of assembly, it's just not worth my time. Maybe I'm spoiled from using a hydraulic machine on which I've made many thousands of hoses.

coincarwash.ca

Washin cars in the GTA
Reaction score
I use 3/8 steel braided hose that I buy in rolls. Reusable fittings and swivels on both ends....mine are 16' long. Buy it all at KR.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
15 ft. 1/4 inch wire braid hose with 3/8 inch ends with one end having a hose guard. I use 3/8 inch swivels on both ends.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I only have a swivel at the top of my boom. I never even thought about adding another one at the gun. What kind of swivels do you guys use? I use the SMC from KR.

MEP001

Reaction score
Bubbles Galore said:
I only have a swivel at the top of my boom. I never even thought about adding another one at the gun. What kind of swivels do you guys use? I use the SMC from KR.
I use the "Kleen-Rite" 3/8" brass swivel (Actually a JE Adams swivel) at both ends. I was using Sonic at the boom and stainless Adams at the gun and rebuilding them, but it's just another thing that wasn't worth my time. I found that if I didn't thoroughly clean them and pack it with grease it wouldn't last even half as long with a rebuild, and the brass ones are cheap and last just as long.

I use the Good-Year Instagrip hose for foam brush and the tri-foam guns - it's expensive, but it really lasts. I've had some in for about four years and they still look great, and don't mar a car's finish. They're so strong that even with the normal push-lock fittings if someone hooks the hose on their bumper it will bend the boom rather than break the hose. I even installed Spraying Systems breakaway swivel to help protect the boom, but they aren't breaking (or wearing out).

Shane

Reaction score
Thanks again for all of the input. I see (like always) there is no right answer. I think I like the 1/4" hose with 3/8" swivels on both ends. I realized this about 30 minutes after I picked up the hose with only one swivel :(. Oh well at least I know what to get next time. I now have one hose at 1/4" and I'll compare that to the 3/8" hoses that are still in the bays to see the difference in weight and (apparent) pressure. I am thinking there shouldn't be much (if any) drop in pressure because the tip at the end of the gun should be controlling the final spray on the vehicle. We'll see.

Ric, I will definitely take you up on your offer. In fact if you check your video cameras from yesterday and notice some idiot in the bay farthest from your Auto taking an interest in the hoses and not putting in any tokens, **cough** that was me **cough** :D. I (still) have to call you sometime to stop by and visit.

As a reference for you guys:
14 ft of 1/4" hose
1 3/8" fixed end
1 3/8" swivel end
About $46

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Don't put a swivel fitting on the hose itself. Those fittings are only meant to swivel for installation and will wear out quickly from constant movement. Use rigid fittings on both ends of the hose and then a swivel at one or both ends.

Mel(NC)

Reaction score
There is an advantage to the 1/4" hose. The 1/4" hose holds less than half the volume of the 3/8" so the time to change from high pressure functions to low pressure functions is a little less. For me, it dropped the time for tire cleaner to come out after using the high pressure soap from 11 to 7 seconds. However, the pressure drop was substantial enough that I decided to stay with the 3/8".

Shane

Reaction score
I guess I better order some of those swivels then.

Is this the Kleen Rite 3/8" Swivel that you guys are talking about?

Don't put a swivel fitting on the hose itself. Those fittings are only meant to swivel for installation and will wear out quickly from constant movement. Use rigid fittings on both ends of the hose and then a swivel at one or both ends.