What's new

What % of your gross revenue come from vacuums?

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
Been considering making some changes to my vac prices as I feel they are underutilized. I believe it *could* be in part due to 2 competitors nearby. One has free vacs the other is $.50/4min.

Currently I'm at about 1% of gross from vacs. I spoke to another SS owner ( owns 3 small washes in his town ) and he said his were gold mines. He said he pays his mortgage on his vacs!

I'm sure there are many variables, but was just considering what other members were experiencing as far as vac revenues?

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Pricing strategy should consider most what is happening in the trade area.

For example, the closest washes are giving away value-added that vacuums create.

Most likely you are obtaining the most revenue possible.

So, why compete against free (zero revenue) and dirt cheap (maybe breakeven)?

chaz

Reaction score
Wow. 50 cents four minutes. I just went from $1 four minutes to $2 6 minutes. Already looking like less mess and more income. Even if I loose some vac customers. Not worth the clean out duty at your prices

L

loewem

My vacs are 5% of gross income. I just switched my prices from $1 = 4 minutes to $1 = 3 minutes.

L

loewem

Wow. 50 cents four minutes. I just went from $1 four minutes to $2 6 minutes. Already looking like less mess and more income. Even if I loose some vac customers. Not worth the clean out duty at your prices
Agree with this. My least favorite job is c!eaning the vacs and the amount of trash that ends up on the ground creates a lot of work.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
FWIW; i like raising the start up price on the vacs and giving more time rather than same price and lowering time. i think the customers don't mind paying the $2 start when they realize that for the extra cost, they in turn get ample time to vac the vehicle without being in a mad scramble to beat the clock.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Before considering pricing changes make 1000% sure vacs are attractive and working well. Dualers may also increase revenue.

washme1

Reaction score
Been considering making some changes to my vac prices as I feel they are underutilized. I believe it *could* be in part due to 2 competitors nearby. One has free vacs the other is $.50/4min.

Currently I'm at about 1% of gross from vacs. I spoke to another SS owner ( owns 3 small washes in his town ) and he said his were gold mines. He said he pays his mortgage on his vacs!

I'm sure there are many variables, but was just considering what other members were experiencing as far as vac revenues?
Year to date, my vac revenue is 4.6% of total site sales. I just increased my vac prices from $1/4min to $1.50/4 min. I offer combo vacs and they include crevice vacs. I concur that the amount of work, trash, illegal dumping result in a lot of hidden costs. I replace a fragrance or shampoo assembly every year @ a couple hundred dollars. Dumpster fees have increased.

L

loewem

I've been thinking about how to maximize vac usage and vac income. I've got eight vacs. Two with fragrance, one with carpet cleaner, two soon to be three with dualers, and two one hose vacs. All vacs are $1 for three minutes. All vacs have two motors. I'm able to add a third motor to two vacs. I'm thinking of adding the third motor with the dualer along with a credit card reader and charging $2 for four or five minutes. Advertise the three motor vacs as super suction. Any thoughts?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I've been thinking about how to maximize vac usage and vac income. I've got eight vacs. Two with fragrance, one with carpet cleaner, two soon to be three with dualers, and two one hose vacs. All vacs are $1 for three minutes. All vacs have two motors. I'm able to add a third motor to two vacs. I'm thinking of adding the third motor with the dualer along with a credit card reader and charging $2 for four or five minutes. Advertise the three motor vacs as super suction. Any thoughts?
A. Will existing wiring and breakers handle the 3 motors?
B. What is the anticipated cost / aggravation factor for the upgrade?

chaz

Reaction score
I have three vacs with three motors. I charge $2 for 3min vs $2 for 6min with two motors. I rarely see someone use the extra motor. Even when I (rarely) vac my own car, I use just two motors. I do keep my filters bags and screens and all clean so always plenty of power with two vac motors

L

loewem

A. Will existing wiring and breakers handle the 3 motors?
B. What is the anticipated cost / aggravation factor for the upgrade?
A. I believe that the existing wiring and breakers will handle 3 motors. I don't have a great understanding of electricity, so I asked a technician who has done a lot of work for me and he said it would. He also said he didn't think it was worth the effort. He said he put "3 motor" vacs at one of his washes and it didn't make much, if any difference.

B. Assuming that the existing wiring and breakers will handle 3 motors, the cost will be about $60 each vac if I do it myself or about $100 each vac if I get the technician help me. I can set the motors and set up the wiring and let the technician do the rest. He told me what to do, but I know my limitations. In other words, I don't want to burn my wash to the ground.

I'm going to do the card readers on two vacs either way, just not sure which vacs at this point. I've got two vac islands in front of my bays and two vac islands behind my bays. The vac islands in the back do about 20% of total vac income. Knuckleheads that mess up tend to choose the back vacs. I guess they feel like they are hiding because they know they are being ignorant...vacuuming liquids, paint, truck beds, etc. My thinking was that by offering stronger vacs at a higher price in the back it would discourage the nitwits from making a mess.

I keep my vacs clean and get compliments about how well they work. Sounds like I should probably forget the three motor idea and start with putting the credit card readers on my combo vacs (one fragrance and one shampoo) that are in the front of my bays.

Thanks for the input.

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
Worst vac location is 14% ($1 for 3 mins)
Best vac location is 23% ($.75 for 2 mins)