What's new

What NOT to use on lock cylinders

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Last week I wanted to lube up my Medeco cylinders because they need it periodically. I was out of my normal graphite spray lube, so I used some ACE brand 'super lube.' What a mistake! The keys stuck in the cylinders, making it alomst impossible to get the key out!!!:(

So I had my Dad get the proper graphite lube. We cleaned the keys and cylinders with carb cleaner first to get rid of the gunk and then lubed them with graphite.

Now they slide in and out quite expeditiously!:)

bigleo48

Reaction score
I too used graphite, but found it to build up in the locks. My locksmith told me WD40 was fine and been using it every since without issue.

BigLeo

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
WD attracts dust. I'd use the graphite sparingly.
I know you are not supposed to use WD 40, but I have been doing it for years. Lube all locks once a month when I remember. Cleans away most junk and rust. Since the locks are outside I do not know if it is really possible to get them more dirty, with or without WD40.

SplishSplash

Self Serve Operator
Reaction score
Tri Flow Superior Lubricant, this has been recommended to me several times over the years by different locksmiths. Only place that I can ever find it is at Ace Hardware.

MEP001

Reaction score
I like the AmsOil spray lube - I've never seen anything work as well for protecting metal from rusting. I used to carry my hand-swager under the toolbox of my truck, and I would have to spray it with WD-40 before each use to free it up. Someone gave me half a can of the AmsOil which I used on it once, and it hasn't needed oiling since.

I do use WD-40 on locks all the time - I spray them well to rinse out dust and gunk and dry them thorough before putting them back on/in, and it hasn't caused a problem with collecting dust. I keep forgetting to order the AmsOil, which I would have to get by the case.

JustClean

Reaction score
Last week I wanted to lube up my Medeco cylinders because they need it periodically. I was out of my normal graphite spray lube, so I used some ACE brand 'super lube.' What a mistake! The keys stuck in the cylinders, making it alomst impossible to get the key out!!!:(

So I had my Dad get the proper graphite lube. We cleaned the keys and cylinders with carb cleaner first to get rid of the gunk and then lubed them with graphite.

Now they slide in and out quite expeditiously!:)

Same happened to me. I couldn't get the #$%$ key out no matter what. Didn't know what to do. Then I got a hammer out and hit the door carefully. I don't know why but it worked instantly and I got it out.

Wally

Reaction score
My locksmith recommended "Houdini" in an aerosol spray can. Works great.

Red Baron

Reaction score
I tend to wait until they get hard to get a key out before I mess with them, then use a short blast of WD40 and that frees them right up.

Randy

Reaction score
Back in the day when I was a young man I worked for a large industrial giant. At that time I was introduced to the best penetrating oils on the market, ?Kroil? www.kanolabs.com/google/
WD-40 is for amateurs, if we mentioned WD-40 there would be a good chance that we?d be ?Keel Hauled? they absolutely hated the WD-40. They'd buy the Kroil by the gallon

dclark3344

Reaction score
I second the silikroil. I have used it for years it will penetrate tighter spaces than the WD-40 aka fish oil. The kroil will even work on bolts that you are heating with a torch. I have never found a supplier outside kano labs and it is a little pricey but worth every cent. When we had a galded bolt in something we would heat it up cherry red and spray the kroil on it so the cooling action would help suck the liquid in. Try it you will be hooked 2. We always purchased it in 10 oz cans. the Kano labs direct number is 615-833-4101 which is on the side of their cans. I have not had to reorder in years so I trust the number is the same.

Last edited:

jprb

Reaction score
After cleaning them well with WD or PB Penetrator, I have been using antisieze. I don't know for sure, but it seems to help keep the other gunk out of the locks. Seems to also help keep rust and corrosion away.

JPRB

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
I was told not to use graphite lube such as 'Lock ease' because after time, the graphite actually will 'cut' your key and the tumbler pins. We have since starting using WD40 which seems to work just as well and is a helluva lot less messy!