What's new

What is the best hand truck or dolly to move around 55 gallon drums.

vinh

Reaction score
I am a small guy. I need a strong but affordable dolly to move 55 gallons around in my equipment room. Anyone have a brand they like? How much does it cost with shipping? Where can I buy one?

MEP001

Reaction score
A good one will run you at least $250. What's the most you're willing to spend?

Regardless of which one you use, the hardest part of moving a drum with a dolly is tipping it onto the wheels.

I strap the drum to a regular hand truck. It works well on a level floor.

bigleo48

Reaction score
Regardless of which one you use, the hardest part of moving a drum with a dolly is tipping it onto the wheels.

I strap the drum to a regular hand truck. It works well on a level floor.
Ditto....the trick is the tipping...balancing beyond that is relatively easy.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
If you have to unload your barrels from a truck like I do, you can't beat one like this. I got mine used for $500.00. It will pick up 1500#. I was able to load 800# pop machines into the back of my truck and unload them at the wash by myself. It has a 4 point dolly wheel system so it is easier to manuever once tipped back. Its called a stair climber. But works equally as well from a taller step like a truck bed.

http://handtrucks2go.com/LectroTruc...aign=froogle&gclid=CKzGy_ehuLUCFQZV4AodJi4A0A

mac

Reaction score
They make a special drum dolly for 55 gal drums. It is sooo good my office lady can move them with it. It has a clamp on top the locks on the lip of the drum and makes the tipping part MUCH easier. The one I have even has a kick stand. Expect to pat several hundred for one unless you can find a used one.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
If you have to unload your barrels from a truck like I do, [/url]
We still unload 55 gallon drums from tractor trailers by laying the drum on it's side and then let it drop to the ground on tip of 2 Junk car tires.

Freaks out some newbie delivery guys . Haven't had a drum break open in 40+ years. - make sure it lands on the tires.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Years ago I used to have a guy deliver 55's that would bear hug the drum and pick it up and walk it off the truck on to the dock. He was about 6'6" but was as skinny as a rail. I have only seen one other guy that could pick one up but he was a heavyweight weight lifter that weighed about 275 pounds. He would move them around the back room like that.

vinh

Reaction score
look like I will to go with the lectro truck. Expensive but worth its weight it gold. I can't afford to hurt myself moving drums. Thanks. Anything better than lectro truck let me know; I will start the search for a used one.

6t7gto

Reaction score
The chemical supplier I buy from puts the drums right where I need them.
I have never moved a drum in 20 years.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Everyones situation is going to be different. My ER is smaller now since I've added Trifoam and Spot Free Rinse. So I don't have room for 55 gallon drums, let alone extra 5 gallon pails in the ER...I keep all my chemicals at home... To cash in on the savings of 55 gallon drums, I had to have something I could unload and move them around easier. When I found this lift, it was a no brainer. I've already used it enough to justify the cost.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I am a small guy. I need a strong but affordable dolly to move 55 gallons around in my equipment room. Anyone have a brand they like? How much does it cost with shipping? Where can I buy one?
Hire someone to do it for you. :)

I got tired of pushing around the 55gal drums and now use 30gal drums instead. Easier to move around.

Randy

Reaction score
I can’t remember when the last time I had a 55 gallon drum in my equipment room, it’s been a long time over 25 years. We buy all of our chemicals in 5 gallon hyper concentrates. This saves a lot on shipping and on storage space. We just started using a powered presoak and that seems to be working out well. I’d never go back to using chemicals that come in a 55 gallon drum again.