What's new

What function should I add to my bays?

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
I have an extra spot on my rotary switch.

Thinking about adding a new function. Probably go with either Simonize Hot Wax spray gun or Air Shammee. I could also do Rain-X out of the foam gun too since I already have that chemical in my equip room for my tunnel.

Which one would be appreciated by customers more and more profitable?

The Hot Wax/Rain-X system would cost about $1500, while the Air Shammee would cost about $6K. It would take quite awhile for Air Shammee to pay for itself.

Anybody using these already? Other recommendations?

Mchas

Reaction score
Air Shammee hands down. It will pay for itself very quickly, doesn’t use any chemicals, and only costs a bit of electricity to run. Customers love it.

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
How hard does it blow? Stronger than a hair dryer? Never used one.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
We are considering going with a version of self service undercarriage ... if we don't pay too much to set it up. Anybody here care to share what the expected pay back time on that? I am thinking up in the Dakotas, Montana, & Minnesota with the salted sand & beet heat etc it possibly could be more worthwhile than in other geographic locations. The quality of the set up would be a factor before I get too hung up on initial cost.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
the Air Shammee would cost about $6K. It would take quite awhile for Air Shammee to pay for itself.
Are you talking multiple units? Shamee and Boom are under $2K. Try in a couple of bays an put a meter on it.

Last edited:

Eric H

Reaction score
I'm thinking about adding "Salt Neutralizer" to my bays. I already have it in the Razors. About 25-32% of those customers are buying it. I have to decide if I want to apply at high pressure or low.

KleanRide

Reaction score
Just installed one Air Logic AutoDry as a test. So far customers seem to like it. Gonna let the hour meter run for a month then make a decision on my remaining bays.

washnshine

Reaction score
I have an extra spot on my rotary switch.

Thinking about adding a new function. Probably go with either Simonize Hot Wax spray gun or Air Shammee. I could also do Rain-X out of the foam gun too since I already have that chemical in my equip room for my tunnel.

Which one would be appreciated by customers more and more profitable?

The Hot Wax/Rain-X system would cost about $1500, while the Air Shammee would cost about $6K. It would take quite awhile for Air Shammee to pay for itself.

Anybody using these already? Other recommendations?
Do you already have spot free rinse? If not, then I would definitely add the dryer. Spot free can make up for not having a dryer in the warmer months because the water evaporates faster and the roads are cleaner.

But in cold months, a car that is spot free rinsed will pick up salt, sand and dirt on the road and won’t look clean by the time the customer gets home. The only way for cars to look clean after any driving in the winter is if they are dried. Leaving them wet at this time of year does not give good results - at least here in the northeast.

wyatt

Reaction score
Go look at the thread I posted a few months ago about air dryers. I detailed exactly how long it took to get my money back.

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
Are you talking multiple units? Shamee and Boom are under $2K. Try in a couple of bays an put a meter on tit.
Air Shammee is about $1500 per bay.

My wash has 4 bays. So would be $6K for the equip. I can handle the install myself with the exception of the electric. Have to hire an electrician for that.

Yes, I already have spot free.

I built this wash 12 years ago from the ground up. It's new and modern-looking.

Since I'm in CA, we have no need for any salt chemicals.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I'm thinking about adding "Salt Neutralizer" to my bays. I already have it in the Razors. About 25-32% of those customers are buying it. I have to decide if I want to apply at high pressure or low.
Eric,

Who sells that chemical that I assume is then mixed with water? I wonder how good it works? Maybe have that mix with the undercarriage ... maybe the self service undercarriage can hit the sides of the vehicle?

Last edited:

Eric H

Reaction score
Who sells that chemical that I assume is then mixed with water? I wonder how good it works? Maybe have that mix with the undercarriage ... maybe the self service undercarriage can hits the sides of the vehicle?
The salt neutralizer is a low PH product applied to the surface of the vehicle the same as the presoak. The product I use is a private label chemical I purchase from my equipment distributor. Simonize has a version as do others. It is NOT injected into my undercarriage wash. I sell it in my IBA as a $2 buy-up to any package.
If I add it to the SS bays I can't decide if I'll apply as a low pressure or HP function.

Roz

Reaction score
Tri Color Foam. Kids, adults, nice cars, old cars, everyone seems to like the trip-color foam. The foam takes time to apply and time to wash off. Parents give the gun to their kids to have fun painting their cars with the wax.

People use the blow dryers but more people use the trip foam...

sparkey

Reaction score
I have air shammee's in my bays and they rarely get used. A few motor cycles will play with them, but I bet I don't see 3 cars a week pick them up.

washnshine

Reaction score
I saw a wash once - many, many years ago - I think it was in Virginia. It had probably 6-8 self serve bays and an IBA. They had a drying arch in the corner or the lot, three blowers mounted on an arch and a money/token box. Cars could drive over to the blower after a self serve wash and for $1 or whatever get a minute of dryer time to drive through.
Off topic from the original post, but a way to allow all customers to dry and not install in every bay. I’m sure the cost would be above the original posters $1500 per bay. But a large facility with 8 bays would get pricey with a blower in each bay. Or course you need the space on your lot.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
If it was Tunnel style with 3 Producers you are looking at about $10,000 for the 3 Producers Plus $1000 for the arch, as well as motor starters and running 3 phase electricity and footing for the arch unless you have a really good concrete pad.