What's new

What does this do?

Reaction score
My water tank for my pumps have been overflowing and I have traced it down to this solenoid to be allowing water to pass through it and to back feed into my holding tank causing it to overflow. My question is what is this solenoids
function and why is a brand new one allowing water to back feed through it? It is different than my other 5 solenoids. Is the wrong one installed?

Attachments

MEP001

Reaction score
The water from the solenoid tees into the line from the plumbing below it. That's the line that goes to the tank, not the feed from the solenoid. There is (or should be) a check valve on the line before the tee which needs to be replaced. The tank will usually have hot water - if you're running cold water for everything and have no plan to run hot, you can just eliminate the solenoid.

Reaction score
The water from the solenoid tees into the line from the plumbing below it. That's the line that goes to the tank, not the feed from the solenoid. There is (or should be) a check valve on the line before the tee which needs to be replaced. The tank will usually have hot water - if you're running cold water for everything and have no plan to run hot, you can just eliminate the solenoid.
Perfect thank you. I was able to rebuild the solenoid with a few pets laying around the pump room. I will need to install check valves.

mac

Reaction score
The solenoid arrears to supply weep water to the suction side of the pump. The line from the solenoid reduces down to a 1/4" OD tube and there is no way that could supply the pump. It would starve the pump. There does need to be a check valve inline from the pump supply to the tank.

MEP001

Reaction score
Nope.

6666CBF0-8DFB-42E9-A244-0D5EEA1210E7.jpeg

I've seen this exact system in a dozen car washes. They're all over Texas.