What's new

What does health insurance cost on open market?

sparkey

Reaction score
I have always had a fulltime job so I have always had access to decent health insurance. Now I am at the point in my life where I would like to quit my fulltime job and just live off of my carwashes and storage units income. I need to find health insurance for myself age 53 and my wife age 55, neither has health issues, nor smoke. I am wondering what most of you self employed people do for health insurance and what you pay? Is obamacare pretty much the standard cost of health insurance or can I find something cheaper? I did a little looking online and the quotes I am seeing are around $1200 a month for both of us, with a deductible of $9000 each per year. Its a PITA to get pricing because everyone wants your DOB and SSN and I really don't want to enter it in 50 different websites just to see a price and I don't want my phone or email blowing up with telemarketers.

MEP001

Reaction score
I can get health insurance through my county pretty cheap, I think it's $150/month but I doubt it has very good coverage.

Eric H

Reaction score
I’m close to going down this path myself.
I know that several of my friends buy their insurance as part of a group through the local Chamber of Commerce. Of course, that also requires you to be a member of your local Chamber of Commerce. For me there doesn’t seem to be much benefit unless I get a good price to use their insurance program.

soapy

Reaction score
$1300 per month for my wife and I with 4 visits each per year to doctor that is paid for. Prescription card with small copay for most things. We each have a 10K deductible. We are in our 60s and have had the plan several years with it inching up each year.

New Washdog

Reaction score
I have always had a fulltime job so I have always had access to decent health insurance. Now I am at the point in my life where I would like to quit my fulltime job and just live off of my carwashes and storage units income. I need to find health insurance for myself age 53 and my wife age 55, neither has health issues, nor smoke. I am wondering what most of you self employed people do for health insurance and what you pay? Is obamacare pretty much the standard cost of health insurance or can I find something cheaper? I did a little looking online and the quotes I am seeing are around $1200 a month for both of us, with a deductible of $9000 each per year. Its a PITA to get pricing because everyone wants your DOB and SSN and I really don't want to enter it in 50 different websites just to see a price and I don't want my phone or email blowing up with telemarketers.
I have insurance for my family of four going through our local Chamber of Commerce. We are in Vermont and experienced an 18.3% premium increase last year and an increase of 11.5% this year. Our current premiums are just under $20,000 annually with a $10,000 deductible before insurance even kicks in!! Strongly considering dropping the coverage.
Good luck with your search.