What's new

What Do You Think of ICA Publishing a Magazine

Do you think that the ICA should publish a "Trade Mag"?

• Yes

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • No

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • Who cares

Votes: 6 30.0%

• Total voters

buda

Reaction score
Operators and Suppliers to the Carwash Industry:

What do you think of the INTERNATIONAL CARWASH ASSOCIATION'S announcement they plan to publish a trade magazine.

It seems to be a very questionable decision when in the past year three trade journals in the car wash industry have folded, namely:

American Clean Car
Modern Car Care
America's Car Care Business

As well, the industry has two strong publications already that duplicate efforts:

Auto Laundry News
Professional Carwashing & Detailing

Plus a good number of magazines published by the regional associations and a number of excellent car wash forums such as Auto Care Forum and others.

Our industry is not that large that it needs another source of information in my opinion.

Plus, it seems divisive in that this effort can be seen by the other magazines and forums (for profit) as an attempt to take from them; and it also will tap into the efforts of the regional association magazines to sell advertising.

The car wash industry, it seems, has many more challenges that the ICA could be concentrating on than publishing another unncessary magazine.

Haven spoken to a number of suppliers and they too hold the same position and indicated they will not advertise in the new publication.

What is your opinion

Regards

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I have to agree. Seems like the ICA is trying to take over parts of the industry rather than represent its membership. I have always thought that the role of an association was to work for the betterment of the industry, not compete with its members. The magazines mentioned are members of the association and exhibit at the ICA Show and many regionals. Is it really necessary to compete with them?

I would like to see them do more to support the regional shows and take a serious look at holding their show every other year. This would give the regionals the opportunity to use the odd years. I think they could do more to make their show more affordable for exhibitors and attendees. I would also like them to promote professional car washing more to the general public. I know they have developed programs for operators to use but have not seen anything like a national ad campaign done by them for the benefit of members. How about more studies on why people use professional car washes or car washing habits of the public? It's nice to have "green" programs to educate people but how about a lobby against some of the laws that endanger car washing?

Certainly no association is perfect and needs funds to operate properly but sometimes it appears that the ICA could do more for their members and the industry and less to make more money off their members and promote themselves.

PEI

Reaction score
I agree that the ICA should stay out of the trade magazine business. I would also like to see the international show every other year, and would like to see it hosted each time by a different region. That way the regional shows get to be the only game in town every other year and get to take turns trying to one up one another.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
At one time I thought the mission of the ICA was to promote and support the industry. Then I had a revelation.

The City of chicago sought to acquire a family location we had for aout 50 years. The purported reason was to expand a library and create green space.

We asked the ICA (which is heaquatered in Chicago) to write a letter to the City Of chicago and Media outlets opposing the city's plan explaining how this business was good for the environment, created jobs and tax revenues etc.

Apparently this request was unduly burdensome and something the then Director Mr. Thorsby told us the ICA did not want to get involved in.

While it was apparent befre this, it then and since became crystal clear that the primary mission of the ICA was to help the ICA.

That being said, the entire print media industry is having sustainability issues. why would anyone want to take that plunge?

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Should the ICA start a Trade Mag?

I talked with the ICA at the convention and they said that it would not compete with the current mags, but rather articles on how to be a better business owner.

What do you think? Vote today.

DavidM

Reaction score
Maybe...

I personally think the main trade mags aren't that great. Like most magazines they are focused on advertising and the articles tend to be disappointing. They are there to fill space between ads without ever saying anything.

SSCWN is very good. I'll take that quality over frequency anytime.

The Northeast CWA publishes a very good quarterly magazine that always has a lot of good information.

Does the industry need another one? Yes but only if it is going to be a good one. Make sure it has quality information and well written articles.
Is it the ICA's job to provide it? Maybe. I am sure there are better things they can be doing but if it is done well it could be valuable to our industry.

David

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
After reading Buda's posts about the ICA's magazine initiative, I thought the idea of publishing another industry rag would be a bad idea.

However, after reading between the lines, the ICA magazine is only available to "ICA members" and is quarterly.

Since the ICA represents only a small fraction of the number of carwash operators in the U.S., my guess is the impact to the remaining trade jounals would be minimal.

buda

Reaction score
After reading Buda's posts about the ICA's magazine initiative, I thought the idea of publishing another industry rag would be a bad idea.

However, after reading between the lines, the ICA magazine is only available to "ICA members" and is quarterly.

Since the ICA represents only a small fraction of the number of carwash operators in the U.S., my guess is the impact to the remaining trade jounals would be minimal.
Robert

Thanks for the post on the ICA publication. Agree, it only goes to ICA members, but do ICA members really need another publication to read? Can't ICA deliver the information they want to disseminate to members via their on line newsletter which is already in existence?

Could they not be spending their time, effort and money on things that are more critical to operators then another industry publication.

Unfortunately myself and several other suppliers and members of the ICA see this as simply another veiled attempt at generating more revenue for ICA, at a time when we vendors have limited funds to market with in any case.

But, that is the greatness of country the ability to express our opinions, contrary as they might be.

Just some well intentioned thoughts.

Bud Abraham

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
Magazine

I own a couple of collector cars and insure them through Hagerty. Hagerty publishes its own car magazine-- quarterly I think. The content is aimed solely at those owning older collector cars so it doesn't really compete with Car and Driver, Motor Trend, etc. This is probably a reasonable comparison to ICA.

But, Hagerty has a lot of $$$ flowing to it via annual premiums, and, of course, is promoting ITSELF via the magazine which buttresses its core business. So, my question is whether the ICA is doing the magazine for the betterment of the industry, or to promote itself? Not sure. The annual conventions, while in the guise of the betterment of the industry, are a huge promotion and revenue source for ICA. So which is it?

The intentions of the ICA may be noble and pure at the outset, but what happens if they find themselves in a money-losing proposition? Do you really think they will constrain themselves, at their own financial peril, to not try to steal away revenue-paying advertisers from other trade mags? Or at least accept paid advertising from those who would have otherwise done business elsewhere? I doubt it.

It should be interesting to watch. I know a moderate amount about associations and only a tiny amount about ICA. My first question is whether they resources are there to pull this off, successfully, and if so, to pull it off, profitably or at least to a level of not being a huge drain on resources. Time will tell.

Last edited:

buda

Reaction score
When I started this post on May 27th questioning the ICA's decision to publish their own magazine, it was done with the utmost sincerity, with no intent to personally hard anyone.

However, I now believe that I have inadvertently done so, which is the reason for this post.

After a conference call with John Pierce, ICA president and the ICA - ED, which they initiated, for which I commend them, it is clear that a great deal more research and study went into the decision than my post gave them credit for.

In retrospect my post did the ICA Board an injustice making it appear that they were irresponsible in their decision making.

While I still may not agree with the decision I was wrong in making the post without first talking with John Pierce or someone from the ICA about the decision.

So I would personally like to apologize to John and the entire ICA Board for any inuendos or accusations that my post may have created.

Regards
Bud Abraham

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
ICA Magazine? It could be a good idea!

On balance, I think there is room for an additional information conduit for carwash operators... as well those interested in detailing as it relates to carwash owners.

My understanding is that ICA and its predecessors intended the association to be an operator centered organization; intended to serve the operators with good information that complimented their business needs. Suppliers were recruited to join and share information that benefited the carwash owner and operator community.

Most trade magazines primarily serve the needs of suppliers, not the carwash owners or operators. Sure, they publish articles that inform and educate, but their primary slant is poised to assist their advertisers agenda.

So, on balance, the idea may be another way to supplement the information flow... while collecting advertising revenues that benefit the Association, just as the conventions do. Member operators of ICA most probably would prefer to see advertising dollars spent to inform them... also finding their way into the ICA treasury... and continuing to serve the Association's financial needs instead of outside publishers. Done properly, it could be a wonderful idea... as long as the operator was the direct beneficiary.

For example, has anyone seen the SEMA magazine? Nice publication.

Just a well-intentioned thought...

-Steve