What's new

What do I need to know?

mrjlmarx

Reaction score
I want to start getting into the car wash business, I want to start with SS washes. I have no business or management experience (I am attending tech school for a business admin program). I go to Local Self-Serve Washes and evaluate what they do, and what I think could be better. What are the most important things to know before buying a car wash? I see several in my area that I am interested in getting, but I have no idea how to start the process or pay for it. Any advice or guidance anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Bricks

Reaction score
I want to start getting into the car wash business, I want to start with SS washes. I have no business or management experience (I am attending tech school for a business admin program). I go to Local Self-Serve Washes and evaluate what they do, and what I think could be better. What are the most important things to know before buying a car wash? I see several in my area that I am interested in getting, but I have no idea how to start the process or pay for it. Any advice or guidance anyone has would be greatly appreciated.
You will work seven days a week. You will clean up messes every day, whether it’s sweeping and shoveling up mud messes or picking up and dumping trash. It’s a learning experience for sure. You better know how to use a multimeter and be mechanically inclined. I don’t think you’d make a dime if you had to pay someone to do your cleaning and repairs for you. I might be doing it wrong though Idk.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think a good idea for someone like you is to get a part-time job working at a car wash. It's a great way to become familiar with the operation of the business as well as all the equipment and customers. And you'll get paid!

It's expensive to buy a car wash. If you're not sure about the kind of money you need those are things that you can research on your own by checking the business listings and sales in your area. Most banks require a 20% down payment. In my experience Banks do not like to lend to younger people with little experience. I was just thinking about my own financing journey many years ago and being laughed out of the office of more than one bank. It was a long lonely road and quite discouraging at times. You'll need to be tough.

Randy

Reaction score
Most car washes here are sold by word of mouth. There are currently 3 car washes for sale that I know and another 5 that are on the fence.