What's new

What combo vacs to buy?

OurTown

Reaction score
We are wanting to buy a shampoo vac and a fragrance vac preferably three motor turbos. If buying new what would be a good brand to go with and what is one brand to stay away from? Factor in parts price and availability plus customer service. These things are expensive new and if we can find some used ones we might go that route. What are some previous models to stay away from or are definite winners?

MEP001

Reaction score
I'd recommend Fragramatics if they'd stop using IDX timers, which are not very reliable and require an expensive device to program.

Damoni88

Reaction score
I have two fragramatic combos that are 17 years old. As Mep stated you do have to buy a $300+ peice of equipment to program it though. But they will last.

OurTown

Reaction score
My equipment distributor recommended Fragramatics because of their good customer service. Are you saying you can't change prices without that programmer? For not much more than $300 you can convert the IDX timer to a Dixmor using the IDX case.

Damoni88

Reaction score
Their customer service is the best. I bought the programmer cause i have 6 combo units with idx timers and 2 of my washes have idx timers in the bays so it was worth it for me to buy.

Damoni88

Reaction score
My equipment distributor recommended Fragramatics because of their good customer service. Are you saying you can't change prices without that programmer? For not much more than $300 you can convert the IDX timer to a Dixmor using the IDX case.
That is correct u need programmer to change time and price

bigjws

Reaction score
I've been running Coleman combo's for 20+ years .. have been bulletproof (knock on wood). They use Sensortrons and I'm using the Dixmor displays...only 2 vac motors, though --

Damoni88

Reaction score
Call fragramatic and talk to Tony. He has me set up where im running 1 super turbo max motor drawing 15amps. Its more suction than my je adams combo units running 3 motors.

pgrzes

Reaction score
I have 17 Coleman Combos. Love them. Had a Fragramatics, hated it. I may soon have 7 combo units available soon.

OurTown

Reaction score
I have 17 Coleman Combos. Love them. Had a Fragramatics, hated it. I may soon have 7 combo units available soon.

Can you elaborate on why you love the Colemans and hated the Fragramatics?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Only 13 Coleman Combos for me. Started getting them around 1990. Get vault, Bill and CC Acceptance. Very little maintenance. Have some stand alone JE Adams fragrance machines and use Coleman Hoses and Guns for those now.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
Fragmatics came with my wash and I've been happy with them. I have 5 combo units and have never had an issue with any of them. The few times I've called customer support( asking to improve performance), Kelly and Tony have been nothing but 100% helpful.

cmawash

Reaction score
just install new fragmatics combo vacs, out standing, led 9 displays, they are attentive to you needs, we also have jd adams combo, electronics are consumer grade, you really need industrial grade equipment, replacement control boards are $600. have replace 6 boards out of 8 units. hose assemblys with their plastic hose retainers and really cheap switch's that are soldered, what a pain to fix in the field, and all 8 unit's switches failed in 3 months

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I would imagine what most Fragramatics complaints stem from, is the serviceability when you do have a problem. Having to replace a panel full of relays, when most likely only one is the problem, is BS in my opinion. Everything is soldered together, and not very accessible as well. Not to mention the cost of the complete assembly

Randy

Reaction score
I would imagine what most Fragramatics complaints stem from, is the serviceability when you do have a problem. Having to replace a panel full of relays, when most likely only one is the problem, is BS in my opinion. Everything is soldered together, and not very accessible as well. Not to mention the cost of the complete assembly
I think he's talking about the JE Adams combo vac's, now there's a PITA to work on. There's an operator here who pulled all 8 of his out and sold them for scrap, he tried to sell them to other local operators but no one would buy them.

OurTown

Reaction score
If you have a rotary switch instead of push buttons then I don't see any reason for circuit boards. They would be controlled by the display timer and that should make them more reliable. Instead of buying new boards from OEM has anyone had RDM electronics repair them? Maybe they can put in better components of the ones that are prone to failure.

https://www.rdmcarwash.net/

MEP001

Reaction score
You're right, I've picked up several used Fragramatics machines for free when I replaced them with a plain vac. An operator who prefers to fix as much as they can themselves is usually not able to figure out much on these units. Fragramatics is certainly very helpful but the units are just so difficult to work on, and unsafe to diagnose with the power on.

Mel(NC)

Reaction score
I have been very happy with my fragramatics machine. I agree with the comments about excellent customer service. I would also point out the cabinet is not easy to break into. The door is recessed and the validator has a metal shroud. I have had someone break into the coin boxes on my plain vac Adams numerous times. No one has tried to break into the Fragramatics that I can tell.

NewPaltz

Reaction score
We are wanting to buy a shampoo vac and a fragrance vac preferably three motor turbos. If buying new what would be a good brand to go with and what is one brand to stay away from? Factor in parts price and availability plus customer service. These things are expensive new and if we can find some used ones we might go that route. What are some previous models to stay away from or are definite winners?
I have had great luck, services and reasonable prices from GinSan