What's new

What color tips should I be using?

Reaction score
I have a 3 bay self serve wash and I have hp soap, fb soap, wax, presoak and tire cleaner. What size tips are you using or should I be using. I am located about 20 miles East of Cincinnati in case the location has an effect? I also have the presoak and tire cleaner running from the same mix. does anyone else do this? The barrel was there when I purchased the wash and since the soap was from a chemical company the barrel is unmarked so I don't even know what I am using.
Tim

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
From another post of yours I get the impression that your water softener isn't working. If you have hard water it's going to be a shot in the dark. You will just need to keep increasing orifice size until you get a result that you're somewhat satisfied with. Even then, the results won't be great. You need soft water.

Reaction score
You are correct, The wash was run down when I bought it and things are improving but spot free and softener are still in need of repairs. I bought a filter and used it to fill up the spot free tank for now. I would like to put some inline filters from the main lines to help make everything cleaner. I don't know if the $60.00 inline filters can take that kind of pressure from the street.
Thank you
Tim

mac

Reaction score
Well you've got a lot to deal with. Putting filters inline will only keep out small grit. It won't help with the spot free rinse. And that is an important part of self serve. I would prioritize that. Tip size varies all over the place. It really depends on the chemicals. This sounds like another case of a clueless soap salesman. Try playing with tip sizes so that you get a nice show in the bay. Change them one size at a time and wait a day to see the results. Your customers will notice if you are using the same chemical for different selections.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Do you know what the water hardness is? Does the soap drum have recommendations on tip size?

Reaction score
Do you know what the water hardness is? Does the soap drum have recommendations on tip size?
I've been buying my chemicals from a chemical company that doesn't know anything about the equipment. I do not know how to test the water hardness. Where would I get a kit for this, Lowes?
Tim

Randy

Reaction score
I've been buying my chemicals from a chemical company that doesn't know anything about the equipment. I do not know how to test the water hardness. Where would I get a kit for this, Lowes?
Tim
You might to find another chemical supplier, someone who knows the car wash business or learn as much as you can about the car wash business as you can or ask a lot of questions. A good place to start with water quality would be to call the city water department. None of the car washes in my area have water softeners etc. My water from the tap is 2 grains of hardness according to the city, I had it tested once and it was spot on.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
The Hach kit is what I use. You can also get it off Amazon.

OurTown

Reaction score
I've been buying my chemicals from a chemical company that doesn't know anything about the equipment.
Are you buying chemicals from JBS? They are in Lebanon, OH so you would be considered a local customer to them and get free delivery. I can give you the phone number to the national sales guy Marco if you private message me. That's who we work with.

Randy

Reaction score
Are you buying chemicals from JBS? They are in Lebanon, OH so you would be considered a local customer to them and get free delivery. I can give you the phone number to the national sales guy Marco if you private message me. That's who we work with.
It's a along ways to Bethel from Lebanon. It's 47 miles or 55 minutes drive time.

Reaction score
I just made a batch of pp (5g added 10 g h20) and running on a orange tip on 506 hydrominder for hp soap
on ps i use a white tip just because its low pressure and looks very foamy

my wax i run with a orange tip

but everyones system is different, plus water, heat, and all other factors

only way to really know is wash your car if your happy customer should be , soap and show is everything

just for a laugh lady just told me she lost $80 in my auto????? She said she put 4 20's in and then swiped her card and still now wash, funny thing theres a car in wash at the moment and i cleaned the $$$ out this am.
So i told her i would open it only a couple of 5's and tens's no 20's???? Yet she still insists its in there. Told her we could watch the video and she had to hurry off to dr appointment all of a sudden. Oopa

OurTown

Reaction score
It's a along ways to Bethel from Lebanon. It's 47 miles or 55 minutes drive time.
That's almost exactly how far we are from them and I know Marco goes even farther North of us.

Randy

Reaction score
Tim
Well what's the latest?

MEP001

Reaction score
just for a laugh lady just told me she lost $80 in my auto????? She said she put 4 20's in and then swiped her card and still now wash, funny thing theres a car in wash at the moment and i cleaned the $$$ out this am.
So i told her i would open it only a couple of 5's and tens's no 20's???? Yet she still insists its in there. Told her we could watch the video and she had to hurry off to dr appointment all of a sudden. Oopa
Don't know what the laws say there, but here it's shoplifting if you try to claim an undeserved refund. If I had a woman come up to me and say she lost $80 in the auto and I had just emptied it, I'd call the cops and open it in front of them and have her charged and arrested.