What's new

What a mess!!!

MikeV

Reaction score
A customer , evidently with a tall vehicle, ran into my dryer bending the shroud. It is an ocsillating shroud. Of course it made one heck of a racket , so I removed the screen and funnel so I could take off the impeller, shroud, etc and hopefully straighten it all out. Thats when the first of two problems arose. When I tried to separate the inpeller from the split taper bushing, the flange where the jacking bolts screw in broke. The sleeve is still on the shaft but no way to separate the impeller from the sleeve of the taper lock bushing. I figure I will call the manufacturer and just get some new parts, right? WRONG...They no longer make this blower and they are no longer in business. Soooo..no parts available. I can get the taper lock bushing from Grainger, but I will still need the shroud, impeller and all the hardware that it rides on to ocsillate. There is not enough clearance to use a hammer to drive the impeller off of the bushing. Any thoughts?

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
You need to find a machine shop with a press big enough to remove the impellor from the motor shaft. Many electric motor repair shops can also provide this service. I had the same thing happen and my motor repair shop removed the impellor with no problem. If you are sucessful you could try to retrofit the existing one with new parts from another manufacturer. Sonnys sells a kit to replace all the aluminum shrouds with their new plastic housing. I did this after one of my older blowers was damaged and it works great.

http://ebiz.sonnysdirect.com/Defaul...t*0@@450*Air+Dryer+-+Replacement+Parts*1037@@

MikeV

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, guys, but there is nothing for the gear puller to pull. The shoulder of the taperlock broke off when I tried to separate the impeller from the taperlock via the jacking holes. No room for a screw jack either. In order to take it to a shop, I will have to remove the entire motor and blower assembly. I may wait until it craps out and replace the whole thing then.

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, guys, but there is nothing for the gear puller to pull. The shoulder of the taperlock broke off when I tried to separate the impeller from the taperlock via the jacking holes. No room for a screw jack either. In order to take it to a shop, I will have to remove the entire motor and blower assembly. I may wait until it craps out and replace the whole thing then.
Mike. I would not run the blower in the condition you describe. Even though you can't get it apart, I wouldn't want to be responsible for the carnage that would occur if it came apart while operating.