What's new

We’re about out of the car wash business, can’t take much more

Randy

Reaction score
We’ve got a clean-up couple who are just trying to supplement their social security by cleaning up the car washes in the evenings. He’s 73 and she’s 72. Last night just before 6pm they were savagely attacked by a Hispanic male with help from his Hispanic girlfriend. The Hispanic male thought that the clean-up person got to close to is girlfriend’s car, he got to within 4 feet of the car while sweeping up debris off the ground. The Hispanic male never said a word just attacked the poor old guy and then attacked his wife when she came to his aid. Inflicting serious injuries to both the man and his wife. The video is rather disturbing to say the least. This kind of goes to show you the type of people who come to self-serve car washes. These types of incidents pretty much make it not worth being in the car wash business anymore. So with that being said we are going to begin exploring ways to get out of the car wash business, after 35 years of putting up with this kind of $hit it’s time. This kind of incident could happen to anyone.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
Randy I am sorry to read this kind of news. I will pray for them for recovery. It is a shame people just ain't like they where even 10 years ago. I don't blame you for getting out. Keep us posted with recovery. So sorry this happened

Hoser06

Reaction score
sorry to hear this Randy. Is the dirt bag in custody at least? Good camera evidence hopefully.
I’d say 35 years is a great run.
I’m at 8years but two sites so grief and stress are compounded a bit.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
Damn savages. I hope you don't live anywhere near your wash! From the things you've mentioned here sounds like a war zone worse than I've seen in South Florida.

soonermajic

Reaction score
Prayers for these elderly. Hope police get those POS felons

getnbusy

Reaction score
So sorry this happened. Prayers for full and speedy recovery. I hope you get em. Get friendly with the DA

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Obviously, quality of life in this area is very poor or we wouldn’t be reading horror stories repeatedly.

Problem with “unsafe” is it increases the cost of doing business. In this case, severe trauma, medical ($?), replacements, reputation, and so forth.

This is often the difference between a business with no community prestige in a rough or unpleasant environment and a highly regarded business in an attractive environment.

Consequently, unsafe also has an influence on market value.

Stop setting up as victim. For instance, I wouldn’t hire two old white people who can't defend themselves to tend a cash business in a rough neighborhood.

Maybe you should hire Hispanic to run the place. Or take on Hispanic business partner as first part of exit strategy.

Change of ownership and/or management is often sound tactic as part of stabilization strategy.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Perhaps SS Car Washes have a higher incidence of this. Perhaps not. I live in what is usually considered a nicer suburb. Have had gunshots near my house a coupe of times and even one hit about 3/4 mile away where one scumbag was targeting another who happened to be traveling in the area.

mac

Reaction score
Okay, this may upset some, but sorry for that. Hispanics make up around 15 % of the population in FL and account for about 30% of the crime. And our borders are wide open. This is why I carry. We are letting animals into our country.

seattleguy

Reaction score

soapy

Reaction score
Sorry to hear this. I live in a much milder crime area but I am armed full time now. Employees are also. Sad that society has got to this point.

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
I had a guy with a gun rob my customers. He did it 3 times over a 7 day period last month.

I have been in drive by shootings while at the wash.

I've had shotgun blasts through my canopy.

I've had stolen cars set on fire in the bay.

I run off at least one drug deal a day.

I've had a young kid beaten to death and thrown in the ditch next to the wash for his shoes.

Dead prostitute found at one wash.

I've seen 4 of my 6 washes in the background on the TV show "Cops".

I've shot at a guy trying to rob me but missed. Cops response "Better luck next time".

I've been physically threatened more times than I can count.

I've sold three washes over the last couple of years and have three to go. The SS car wash business has been good to me, but I'm looking forward to the day where I'm not doing it anymore.

L

loewem

Very sorry to hear this. Makes me sick to think about. I hope that the husband and wife recover quickly.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
It seems to me that SS washes attract the lowest common denominator in a community. I've got a wash in a very nice area of town, and the dregs even come out of the woodwork there. IBA customers are as a rule a much better demographic.

Kevin James

Reaction score
The car wash industry isn't what it once was or maybe it's the way that society has gone and it's not for the good. We've pretty much decided sell off our car wash holdings, get out of the business or redevelop the properties. To much trouble for a such a small return. Randy can you give us an update on what's happening in the incident? How are the retired couple?

OurTown

Reaction score
Randy, we are so sorry to hear this. Thoughts and prayers for all of you!
And this, folks, is why we should appreciate our 2nd amendment rights! People are nine kinds of crazy today, and they don't think twice about hurting others on a whim. Probably drug crazed, too. :mad:
Update us please and let us know they caught the d-bag assailants.

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
Randy, I am very sorry to learn this. I hope justice is served and the couple recovers.

You are an incredible contributor to the car wash industry and this forum. You deserve much better, as did they. It seems to me the criminal element who disrespects others is getting stronger in many areas of life, not just at car washes. When I was younger, a person who beat an elderly person (and his wife) would do a lot of prison time ... not sure about that any more.