What's new

Well, why did they put that part on in the first place?

mac

Reaction score
Got that question from one of my techs recently. Sent him to a PSQ 4000 that stopped putting out soap. The delivery pump and motor had gone belly up. Even from Wash World replacement was around $800 with freight. The original motor is 1.5 hp. So I gave him a .5 hp motor and small Procon to replace it for less than half. I can only imagine what PDQ would want for it, as they won't sell or talk to me. Well the little guy works great. I would bet that even a Flojet would do. So that's when the tech asks why PDQ put the bigger one on to start with. Good question. If you have one of these machines, remember this when yours croaks.

whitescout

Banned
Reaction score
If you are talking about the solution pump, I think the reason PDQ uses a bigger motor and pump, is for units that have triple foam. There needs to be more pressure and volume to draw chemical through three injectors. Rather than running the motor/pro con, I would replace with a starite, as this is a much better alternative.

lag

Reaction score
You may want to check the amp draw on the little guy , it is probably running at capacity. Many years ago PDQ did use a smaller motor with a procon ,the motors went bad regularly.

I agree the starite is the way to go.

madscientist

Reaction score
yes, you'll change out many, many procons before you would change out the starite.

raisetheprice

Reaction score
4 starites...haven't touched them in years. Before them, many procons and danfoss/injector changes after the procons grenade and clogged up the whole system. I might mess with an injector or danfoss every 6 months now.

ken-pro

Equipment Distributor
Reaction score
Washworld (I assume PDQ as well) use the Sta-Rite due to the volume requirement of 3 triple foam injectors. I have replaced several Procon pumps on customer's older systems, but have never touched a Sta-rite. Washworld offers a retrofit to use the Sta-rite instead of the Procon for their system.

As well, the added bonus of not having the Procon pump grenade and plug everything is great.

jcollins

Reaction score
Sorry Mac, I have doubts about that 1/2 horse motor holding up for very long. I don't think the single phased 1.5 hp held up that well either (may be why they went to using 3 phased motors).
The Sta-Rite pump has been used in new Lasers for quite a while now (2002?). I have replaced several that after about 5 years use (depending on usage and water quality), their pressure started dropping below 150 psi. This is still better than replacing a Procon pump once a year with chance of it contaminating all the low pressure circuits.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Cheap is exspensive in the long run. You need to know what you are doing before trying to re-engineer a design without thinking about application.

bigleo48

Reaction score
The LP pump in my M5 looks like a Starite...so perhaps this is the evolution.

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
Washworld (I assume PDQ as well) use the Sta-Rite due to the volume requirement of 3 triple foam injectors. I have replaced several Procon pumps on customer's older systems, but have never touched a Sta-rite. Washworld offers a retrofit to use the Sta-rite instead of the Procon for their system.

As well, the added bonus of not having the Procon pump grenade and plug everything is great.
Yep, been there done that. WashWorld upgraded me to the Sta-Rite after I had issues with the Pro-Con. Tri-foam was much better with the Sta-Rite. Retro-fit from WashWorld was easy...they rock!

koliver

PDQ Sales Engineer
Reaction score
The LP pump in my M5 looks like a Starite...so perhaps this is the evolution.
M5's come standard with a Starite pump. PDQ also used this pump on LW4000's since 2002. Easy conversion for those looking to do so.

mac

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. This particular location is very low volumn, and the owner is cheap beyond words. In this case I went with the small Procon, but will go with the Starite for regular customers. Thanks to all.

Rick Lancelle

Washworld Tech Support
Reaction score
The Sta-rite pump has been standard with High Velocity equipment for some time now,this pump supplied by Sta-rite is built specifically for Washworld to meet our standards in reliability and performance. It has proven to be a great advancement from that of Procon assembly, Washworld does and will offer upgrades to all High Velocity customers and others.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Ryko has never used the procon pump on any rollover or tunnel. They have been using sta-rites for at least 18 years.

raisetheprice

Reaction score
Everything is an "upgrade" or "retrofit" in our experience in the carwash business...stainless bridge/trolley from rotting painted steel (which I'm trying to figure out how to afford with our dist putting another in right now within stone's throw...Merry Christmas to you too), VT from POS floor steel nitemare, starite from POS procon, XEs from POS HVXs, and all with 90 days of service warranty to boot from new.

Funny, on a $20K automobile the dealer/manufacturer covers parts/labor long after the first scratch and call similarly botched engineering woes a 'recall' and happily eat it.

Would anyone be interested in an extended warranty for their carwash equipment? I'd gladly paid good money for one up front knowing what I know now.

Sorry to hijack...

Last edited:

mac

Reaction score
raisethe price, you bring up a good point. Whenever I sell a simple piece of equipment or a complete package, a common question is what is the warranty. I reply, what do you want. As a distributor, I can put ant warranty on it I like. I just charge more for the extended ones. Almost never get any takers though. As for the manufacturers offering them, I don't think we'll live long enough to see it.

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
I don't expect a lifetime warranty and am not looking for "something for nothing" however,there are manufactures out there that want you to have success with their product and will work with you on upgrades and improvements. WashWorld happens to one of them.

Etowah