What's new

Welds Broken/Cracked on WW Profile Frame

CheetahExpress

Reaction score
After some service was recently done on our Profile and it was tested, the tech heard alot of popping/cracking noises. After inspection, we were shocked to find 18-20 welds in the frame that had cracked or come apart. The Profile was deemed unsafe, and we were down a few more days waiting on a welder. My WW Service Mgr. said he'd never seen anything like this before to this degree. This Profile is only 5 years old, and has 91,000+ washes on it. I was told by another operator that you only normally see this on touchless machines over 8 years old that are constantly bombarded with strong chemicals. We currently use all Chem-Quest products, which are very high quality. We do, however, use their Select 35 in the power wash wheel detailer, but this strong detergent is applied to tires and wheels at the lower, bottom area of the wash. All of the cracks and weld problems are along the top of the frame. Any opinions on what could have happened here would be appreciated. My only other thought is that this particular frame was made by WW on a Friday or Monday. This is an aluminum frame with an anodized coating on it. I was told they do make stainless steel frames, but they cost $100,000. To which I said "fogettahbout it." The welder charged me $725 to repair it, which I thought was reasonable, considering he spent 5 hours in a wash bay in South Texas in over 100 degree heat.

washnshine

Reaction score
After some service was recently done on our Profile and it was tested, the tech heard alot of popping/cracking noises. After inspection, we were shocked to find 18-20 welds in the frame that had cracked or come apart. The Profile was deemed unsafe, and we were down a few more days waiting on a welder. My WW Service Mgr. said he'd never seen anything like this before to this degree. This Profile is only 5 years old, and has 91,000+ washes on it. I was told by another operator that you only normally see this on touchless machines over 8 years old that are constantly bombarded with strong chemicals. We currently use all Chem-Quest products, which are very high quality. We do, however, use their Select 35 in the power wash wheel detailer, but this strong detergent is applied to tires and wheels at the lower, bottom area of the wash. All of the cracks and weld problems are along the top of the frame. Any opinions on what could have happened here would be appreciated. My only other thought is that this particular frame was made by WW on a Friday or Monday. This is an aluminum frame with an anodized coating on it. I was told they do make stainless steel frames, but they cost $100,000. To which I said "fogettahbout it." The welder charged me $725 to repair it, which I thought was reasonable, considering he spent 5 hours in a wash bay in South Texas in over 100 degree heat.
That’s a ton of welds. Were they all in the same orientation - East-West or North-South? Is there anything you could see that could have tied them together - maybe a machine strike by a car? That is a lot, but I’m glad you had a reasonable repair cost.

Roz

Reaction score
That’s a ton of welds. Were they all in the same orientation - East-West or North-South? Is there anything you could see that could have tied them together - maybe a machine strike by a car? That is a lot, but I’m glad you had a reasonable repair cost.
Now you have me worried, we use the same chemicals on our new WW TF and Profile.

CheetahExpress

Reaction score
I've now learned something that adds more to the equation. When WW first came out with the Profile, the Power Wheel Detailers were added as sort of an afterthought, as an option. They are extremely heavy. My guess is WW never took into account the extra weight being dragged back and forth over their original frame. I'm guessing that after 91,000+ washes, all that extra weight took it's toll on the frame. My WW distributor has only one other customer with the Wheel Detailers and a new owner is coming in who plans to rip them out because they are so problematic. The cracks go across the top of the frame in various places on both sides. So, I guess that's East to West. My tech plans to ask WW whether they are seeing problems such as this with Profiles that have the Power Wheel Detailers on them.

CheetahExpress

Reaction score
Now you have me worried, we use the same chemicals on our new WW TF and Profile.
I was told that if you use a high pH detergent and it sits on the frame during non-use hours or overnight, it can eat up the aluminum. However, we use ChemQuest Plummett for our Profile, and it is low pH, however, it does have acid in it.

CheetahExpress

Reaction score
I think we're okay there. I'm leaning toward believing it's the added weight of the Wheel Detailers that contributed to the problem with the frame.

HeyVern

Reaction score
The first suspect for broken welds should be any kind of repeated vibration or movement over time.

MEP001

Reaction score
Breaks will look clean. If the joints corroded apart for any reason, there will be lots of powdery residue.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
another way to look at it is that you spent $750 to repair a machine that has grossed over $1 million in revenue during its useful life so far. Doesn't seem too bad to me if the welders work holds up, you'll be ready for a new machine before he needs to re-weld anything. It's fixed; move on, Keep washing cars.

Zal

Reaction score
I would look at metal fatigue or poor welds- chemical would eat at the entire aluminum structure and be quite apparent. A new or apprentice welder would be my guess. I hope this all works out for all

OurTown

Reaction score
$100,000 for a stainless frame? Jeezless.

CheetahExpress

Reaction score
Wes will take care of You!!
Wes sold the distributorship quite some time ago. But the Service Mgr. is back and forth with WW on it.
another way to look at it is that you spent $750 to repair a machine that has grossed over $1 million in revenue during its useful life so far. Doesn't seem too bad to me if the welders work holds up, you'll be ready for a new machine before he needs to re-weld anything. It's fixed; move on, Keep washing cars.
That's exactly how I feel. I'm happy to be past this and moving on.