What's new

Welcome to Mississauga

pitzerwm

Reaction score
I thought that you guys might enjoy this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY79KbCptTo

bigleo48

Reaction score
Bill,

Now how did you come across this? I'm impressed! Hurricane Hazel is something special, but unfortunately Mississauga is not. Just another sprawling suburb of Toronto, void of any real heritage or culture (I lived and worked there for 2 years...2 years too long).

Now Rick Mercer is an icon up here and one of his most popular stunts is called "Talking to Americans", where he picks on certain individuals and tries to display how completely ignored and unknown we are by most Americans. Here's one of his clips;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhTZ_tgMUdo

I live on the Canadian/US border and most Upstate NY residences don't even know that the Canadian Capital is 30 minutes north of them!? I often wonder what they think when they look north across the river.

Now I believe that's the education system's fault...perhaps too much navel gazing in history class. But having worked with and spending a fair bit of time in the US, the differences between us are somewhat minor and we enjoy and believe in much the same things, although most Canadians won't admit it.

BigLeo

pitzerwm

Reaction score
If you have ever watched the Jay Leno bit, where he ask people on the street the simplest questions and they are beyond stupid, you would see that the younger generations are pretty lazy when it comes to learning anything. Some blame the educational system's belief that to challenge anyone might hurt their fragile physic, so expecting them to actually learn something is considered taboo.

Then of course there is our American belief that we are the King **** of the planet so we don't need to learn any other languages or anything about the rest of the world.

bigleo48

Reaction score
Knowing another language is the key to another culture, which is also the key to cultural tolerance.

What I see in so many kids today is a lack of expectation along with developing whimps who can only play video games...especially the boys.

My son and daughter are tops in their classes (they are too smart not to have good grades, hence the expectation). He also plays 4 organized sports, one at the highest level and 2 of them are physical in nature. He also loves his xbox, but can only play it so long before he needs to move. She is also active in sports and at a high level at a potentially dangerous sport.

The parents need to have such expectations and not always offer the easiest way out. It's hard to watch your kids fail at times, but they learn a lot from it. The parents also need to provide an education and expand their kids knowledge and make them more worldly. That means everything from developing their pallet with different foods, to travel. For their ages, my kids have traveled extensively and have seen the poorest to the richest (both money and culture). That makes them better equipped to deal with our world and appreciate what they've got. They can also better handle life when the going gets tough. Unfortunately, too many kids lack these skills, fold under pressure and blame everyone else for their position.

BigLeo