What's new

Weil-McClain CG-5-SPDN Floor Heat Boiler finally puked....

spf8298

Reaction score
After 27 years, our Weil-McClain CG-5-SPDN Floor Heat boiler finally gave out. I'm guessing the heat exchanger failed. Antifreeze everwhere. Needless to say it couldn't have happened at a better time since spring is near. However, now comes the task of finding a replacement.

Our wash is a 3 bay self serve with 1 IBA. The boiler is controlled by 1 single bulb remote auquastat with the bulb fastened to the return glycol copper line. I really don't have many problems with the setup and it seems to work pretty trouble free and cost to operate is not terrible.

After reading some other posts, I'm considering adding a second airstat that would be wired to my weepmiser to control turning on the pumps at a certain temp to save on electrical cost. Is this very involved to do? Currently, our circulators run continuous.

Weil-McLain seems to be a pretty reputable company and I'm considering replacing with the same unit. Does anyone have any suggestions on other brands/setups?

Thanks in advance.

Shaun

celica

Reaction score
I have the same weil-McClain boiler that's been in operation for 23 years. It's been trouble free also. The key has been cleaning the burners every heating season. I wired the power supply to an external air T stat to save electricity and wear and tear on the recirc-pumps. I did this about 10 years ago, should have done it sooner! You could consider replacing the heat exchanger, but if you don't want to bother then I would consider buying an exact new replacement. that would give you a bunch of replacement parts off the old one.

spf8298

Reaction score
That's exactly what I'm thinking too. I could reuse the circulation pumps, damper, stat, etc. Did you have to wire in some sort of relay to control the external air T stat?

We took over ownership of the wash about 3 years ago and I've always disassembled the boiler each spring and cleaned it up for the next winter. I also replaced a faulty transformer on the unit and that worked out on saving some fuel costs. HVAC guy told me I was lucky it was still running after this long.

spf8298

Reaction score
After 27 years, our Weil-McClain CG-5-SPDN Floor Heat boiler finally gave out. I'm guessing the heat exchanger failed. Antifreeze everwhere. Needless to say it couldn't have happened at a better time since spring is near. However, now comes the task of finding a replacement.

Our wash is a 3 bay self serve with 1 IBA. The boiler is controlled by 1 single bulb remote auquastat with the bulb fastened to the return glycol copper line. I really don't have many problems with the setup and it seems to work pretty trouble free and cost to operate is not terrible.

After reading some other posts, I'm considering adding a second airstat that would be wired to my weepmiser to control turning on the pumps at a certain temp to save on electrical cost. Is this very involved to do? Currently, our circulators run continuous.

Weil-McLain seems to be a pretty reputable company and I'm considering replacing with the same unit. Does anyone have any suggestions on other brands/setups?

Thanks in advance.

Shaun

Good news. I went down and spent a little more time at the wash and discovered it was a coupling between the pressure tank and exiting glycol line that was split causing the glycol to leak under the unit. I replaced the coupling, disassembled the burners, cleaned everything out, and re-lit the pilot and it took off. I still think the unit is about shot, but I'll limp it along until it finally gives out.

What is adequate pressure for a closed system like this? I should probably have the line topped off an purged. Any thoughts?

Shaun

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I like to fix what I've got whenever possible. I have a Ray Pak boiler for floor heat. It's 13 years old. A few years ago, I was having an ignition problem so I called a Tech from the propane gas company I buy from. Tech said:"the boiler is on its way out."

Frustrated, I called Huron Valley Sales, where I bought my boilers. They explained how it was simple to replace all the parts of the boiler, so the idea of " on its way out' was dismissed by me.

I find this alot in business when having things repaired by others; the idea of " just toss what you have and replace with brand new". I'm sure it's much more profitable for tradesmen to install new vs. repair old furnaces, boilers, and garage door parts. But it's not always the best way to manage your resources. Sometimes it is better for 'ALL NEW'. For example, when the increased efficiency equates to quick payback of the cash outlay for the upgrade.

spf8298

Reaction score
I like to fix what I've got whenever possible. I have a Ray Pak boiler for floor heat. It's 13 years old. A few years ago, I was having an ignition problem so I called a Tech from the propane gas company I buy from. Tech said:"the boiler is on its way out."

Frustrated, I called Huron Valley Sales, where I bought my boilers. They explained how it was simple to replace all the parts of the boiler, so the idea of " on its way out' was dismissed by me.

I find this alot in business when having things repaired by others; the idea of " just toss what you have and replace with brand new". I'm sure it's much more profitable for tradesmen to install new vs. repair old furnaces, boilers, and garage door parts. But it's not always the best way to manage your resources. Sometimes it is better for 'ALL NEW'. For example, when the increased efficiency equates to quick payback of the cash outlay for the upgrade.
I completely understand where you're coming from. I could probably find the cast iron boiler section from some place like supply house and replace it myself. I do question a bit how much more efficient a new Weil-McLain CG-5 would be. The units really haven't changed that much in 27 years.

Randy

Reaction score
Waxman; I find this alot in business when having things repaired by others; the idea of " just toss what you have and replace with brand new". I'm sure it's much more profitable for tradesmen to install new vs. repair old furnaces said:
Waxman, I couldn't agree more, they want to sell new and not repair older equipment. I look out for a older couple who are in there late 80's. Their furnace stopped heating so they called a local reputable HVAC company. When the tech came out he looked at the heat pump said the system was so old that he couldn't get parts and it needed to be replaced to the tune of $13000, he never looked at the electric furnace in the crawl space. Being on a fixed income they called me and I crawled under there house and looked at the furnace and determined that the heating coils were burned out, got the model number of the furnace, went online and in 10 minutes had them on order for around $120, when they came it took me all over about 20 minutes to install them and they have heat.

MEP001

Reaction score

I just got a call from someone for a second opinion on a softener. He said he was getting hard water before it regenerated, he'd had a softener company look at it and they wanted to replace it for $7,000. It's a Fleck 9500, I could replace every seal, valve and piston in it as well as change the resin for about $1,000. I'll probably find it's just not set up correctly.

spf8298

Reaction score
I just got a call from someone for a second opinion on a softener. He said he was getting hard water before it regenerated, he'd had a softener company look at it and they wanted to replace it for $7,000. It's a Fleck 9500, I could replace every seal, valve and piston in it as well as change the resin for about $1,000. I'll probably find it's just not set up correctly.
While we're on the subject of softeners, how do you like to see the softeners set up? I've got a Fleck 9500 that we had installed 2 years ago for $3500 new. Just for my own knowledge (because I always question contractors) I've always wondered what the correct parameters are for regen, etc.