What's new

Weepmizer Settings

washregal

Reaction score
Ok -

I have both thermostats for my weepmizer under the eves of my building on either side. What I hope to do this year is set it at 33 deg to come on not 35. Hoping to save some $$ this year on water and especially sewer costs.

Any thoughts?

Also - What percentages in Eastern Pennsylvania to you recommenced for P1, P2, and P3

Randy

Reaction score
I think 33 deg. is a little too low for the Wepmizer to start working. I have ours set to come on at 34 deg. and don’t have any freeze ups, there’s nothing worse than having to unthaw a frozen bay. We use the factory default settings on P1, P2. A few things I’ve learned over the years, don’t mount the temperature sensor directly on the building, you can get heat from the building that will throw off the temperature sensor, mount the temperature sensor on “L” bracket about 6” from building. About once a year we test the Weepmizer temperature against another thermometer, a couple of times we’ve found it to be off and had to adjust the temperature sensor. Use a ASCO 8210G34 normally open solenoid valve.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
About once a year we test the Weepmizer temperature against another thermometer, a couple of times we’ve found it to be off and had to adjust the temperature sensor.
I just read the whole manual. It didn't say anything about being able to adjust the sensor. Were'd you find out how to do that?

BTW... I let mine come on at the default setting @ 36. But my sensor is in one of the bays. I really need to move it out to the north exterior wall. I don't freeze up unless something else caused it.

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
about being able to adjust the sensor.
There is a screw on the sensor you can adjust.

What is a weepmizer for? LOL :) I think the temp should probably be calibrated before get the margins so close? With a fancy laser temp gun thing or something? I think I'm at 35? Mine has been used twice this year.... is that a lot? :)

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the sensor. I have never climbed up there to look at it closer.

My Weepmizer is going to get a bit of a workout this week. Lucky you (Cwguy) you live a little south of me! This is my 10 day forecast!

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
I'm in SE PA, I use 37,32,25 with the factory default percentages, but I have a weep recycle system so other than discouraging weep washers I dont really worry about how much it runs.

Temp is not the only factor you need to consider - when your hoses will freeze also depends on the volume of water you weep. When its going to stay below 20 or so for a while I increase the volume. I have pressure regulators and gauges on my weep manifold to make that easy.

There are a couple other factors effecting freezing like supplemental trough heat, length of hose runs, insulation, microclimate, etc... but these are lower on the priority scale than volume.

Anyway the short answer is that the factory defaults are pretty good, but unfortunately if you want to reduce your weep costs, you almost have to experiment because every wash will be just a little bit different.

Water and sewer costs are out of control (like everything except car washes!!), if I didnt have a weep recycle system I'd put in a blowdown/antifreeze system and consider closing overnight.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Anyway the short answer is that the factory defaults are pretty good, but unfortunately if you want to reduce your weep costs, you almost have to experiment because every wash will be just a little bit different.
I was going to suggest like the Old Saying "Tighten it till she breaks then back it off one"! :) Every wash is different and many things affect what we're talking about here. You alsmost have to experiment to see how far you can go before freezing up. Personally I won't experiment with this one. I hate thawing HP hoses! In the past, its been a clogged weep gun that caused the freeze-up...Never the weep system. I've tested mine down to 5-10° with no trough heat with no freeze-ups. Colder than that I turn on the heat tape or the trough zone from the floor heat...

Thanks CWguy for the picture. On the way to the wash this morning my car outside digital temp display said it was 32°. When I got to the wash, the weepmizer said it was 33°...Close enough for me. Thats how I check mine! :)

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
You also need to make sure your heater turns on.... that could be a lot worse then thawing hp hoses? :)

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I have a 40K btu ceiling mounted forced air furnace. To back it up, I also have a 1500w ceramic heater I have set at about 5° less than the furnace. It's amazing how good the 1500w Heater works by itself. If the electric fails, I have a Big Buddy I can hook up to a 20 lb grill cylinder that will last a few days...Theres no way I want to face what is going on in that picture!

slash007

Reaction score
I have a 40K btu ceiling mounted forced air furnace. To back it up, I also have a 1500w ceramic heater I have set at about 5° less than the furnace. It's amazing how good the 1500w Heater works by itself. If the electric fails, I have a Big Buddy I can hook up to a 20 lb grill cylinder that will last a few days...Theres no way I want to face what is going on in that picture!
That's just the start of the weather in this area. If it stayed like that, we would be grateful. It gets much worse...

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
That's just the start of the weather in this area. If it stayed like that, we would be grateful. It gets much worse...
I'm 2 hours North of you up Rt 68 into Ohio...So we have very similar weather. I've often wondered? If we have winter weather like we had back in the late 70's, early 80's where temps dropped to -30° and 60 mph winds, how on earth would you keep a CW from freezing up?!?!?! Back then we didn't think a thing about it. We just threw another log on the fire. Now that I own a CW, Its a different story!

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Your right! Although.....Even with our modern technology at our fingure tips, I still don't feel like we have it made! I don't know how you guys did it? How on earth did you keep pits and drains from freezing with no floor heat? Most car washes didn't have doors back then and still don't.

slash007

Reaction score
I went through the 77 & 78 winters with a wash with no floor heat. You young whippersnappers have got it made :)
Over the past five years I've turned my floor heat on maybe only ten times. That is because I had to do it manually and it wasn't automatic based on the temp. I've spent a lot of time scraping and shoveling ice, though the past couple of years the winter hasn't been that bad in that regard.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Mine was running this morning when I stopped by on my way to work. Tonight's temps are going down to 18°...So I'm just leaving it on. Its nice to know that it isn't breaking the bank now compared to when I had the old 350K btu dinosaur in there...That thing ate a lot of grass!