What's new

Weep issue - Solenoid?

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
I recently noticed that my weep solenoid wasn’t closing completely(water constantly flowing out). I was using an Asco red hat. Ordered a new one and it’s doing the same thing. Even when it’s energizd/closed it’s still passing through at a pretty decent rate. Almost as if it’s not even closing. I know it’s closing a little bit but not much.I have my regulator set to 50. I have 24v at the solenoid and the Weepmizer is functioning as normal

Other than a second bad solenoid what else could it be?.

Maybe a bad cold water solenoid for the pump and a bad check valve up on the trough pressurizing the weep system?

What’s everyone’s preferred normally open solenoid for the weep?

Randy

Reaction score
To check if solenoid valve is leaking by remove the hose on the downstream side of the weep soleniod valve with power on the solenoid valve if you don't have any flow from the valve you've got something else leaking by. ASCO red hat valves are all we used, I've only had to replace one in 30 years. The diaphragm went bad and it was less expensive to replace the valve instead the diaphragm.
I had to tear apart a cold water valve and backflow preventor this morning because it was leaking by, it was full of rust debris.

slash007

Reaction score
I bought an Asco Red Hat based on feedback here, and it didn't last one season. By the 2nd season I had already had to replace the guts again and finally switched to a whole new one. By the 3rd season when it failed again, I went back to a Dema and paid 1/3 of the price. No issues with my Dema at either wash. Asco sucks in my book. I also have 4 Asco's on a washing machine at my hotel and in 2 years I've had to change the guts on 3 of them so far.

Randy

Reaction score
I bought an Asco Red Hat based on feedback here, and it didn't last one season. By the 2nd season I had already had to replace the guts again and finally switched to a whole new one. By the 3rd season when it failed again, I went back to a Dema and paid 1/3 of the price. No issues with my Dema at either wash. Asco sucks in my book. I also have 4 Asco's on a washing machine at my hotel and in 2 years I've had to change the guts on 3 of them so far.
That's really odd, we have 6 in service, no problem. I wonder why they failed? Did you contact ASCO customer service or the people you bought the valves from?

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Interesting...I had a Dema in the beginning and froze up more than I care to remember. Switched it out with an asco at Randy's suggestion and its been fine now for about 10 years! Could water quality play a factor? I weep city water that doesn't go through my softener...Its only about 4-5 grains...

MEP001

Reaction score
Dema O473 is what I use. They almost never fail to work. They have a stainless seat pressed in, where the Asco seals against the brass and it tends to erode. Dema 41 series used to be excellent, but since at least 20 years ago they're junk. The last time I bought one for weep it tested fine, then I left it to open the weep that night and it didn't, the whole wash froze.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
I have both demas and ascos. The asco on my weep is a pita, after only 2 years in service I repaired it. Lasted 2 or 3 years, then at the end of last winter it started leaking again. replaced it with a dema 473, at least they are cheaper.
NB: I use recycled weep water, freely admit that could be part of the problem.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I found the NO solenoids particularly touch with any debris in the lines. I finaly went to the Big Box Store and got a whole house filter and put it in line - (As opposed to a banjo screen filter) no more issues.

slash007

Reaction score
I now use the Dema 473. No idea why the Asco wore out so quickly, but my water is soft. The diaphragm would just wear out as replacing it would fix the issue, but you have to buy the whole rebuild kit to get one, and that kit alone costs more than the Dema. I thought it was just a fluke, but when my hotel washer had the Asco's fail after 1 year, I figured it was just poop quality.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I know Randy is sold on them, but the N.O. ones he recommended for weep didn't cut the mustard. Way too expensive, didn't last, and essentially non-repairable. I had one wash that had their N.C. valves on the LP stuff and they were great. I think some of them were original on a 24 year old wash.

OurTown

Reaction score
Could it be that Asco's quality has dropped in recent years?

MEP001

Reaction score
Could it be that Asco's quality has dropped in recent years?
I think so. I used to manage a chain of 14 washes, all the LP solenoids were Asco and they were all getting on to 30 or more years old and not giving any problems. Must have been over 500 solenoids, only replaced because everything around them was going bad so we went with Kips. Up to 2003 we were installing Vectors that used the exact same solenoids and they weren't lasting two years. Replaced them with DEMA 47 series and never had a problem with those. On the flipside, there are many thousands of DEMA 41 series solenoids out there that are 40-50 years old and still working fine, where a new one doing the same function would last 2-3 years at best and would fail to open, only partially open, or not close.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Glad I bought my Asco (and Spare) before the quality went to crap! To be honest, the PO had a Dema piston actuated solenoid installed instead of a diaphragm solenoid....I can see how a Piston Actuated solenoid can be a PITA! Its interesting how different locations can have issues with one or the other...One of those great mysteries of life, I guess!

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
Got the Demo 0474's from Kleen Rite yesterday, installed it and I'm good again. Those Asco's were crap. The firs tone lasted about 2 years but then I had not 1 but 2 bad from the box.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Glad Randy and I got the two good ones they made!

Randy

Reaction score
Glad Randy and I got the two good ones they made!
Boy 2Biz I'm sure glad you and I got the last 2 that have held up. ASCO makes a lot of different valves saying that they are all crap is like saying all Fords are crap. I wonder what model ASCO valve those who are having the failures are using. Has anyone of those who have experienced failures contacted ASCO customer service.

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
I tried Dema, Kip, GC and had no luck with any of them. Got two years out of them at the most. Converted to ASCO years ago because this forum and at 6 locations they have been flawless for 10 years or more.