What's new

Weather Forecasts

twerkinatthecarwash

Reaction score
With weather being such a huge factor in our business I've found myself habitually checking the forecast. My big problem is the big forecast websites (weather.com, accuweather.com, and weatherbug.com) have not been on point lately. Now, I do understand that it is very VERY difficult to predict the weather, but if anyone has any suggestions for a good website that has proven fairly reliable I would love to hear it and give it a shot.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I used to travel all over the country working for the biggest chemical supplier at the time. I used to turn on the weather channel or local weather forecast every day. All of these forecasts followed the same format. They spent the first half of the report explaining why they screwed up the previous day's forecast and the rest of the time guessing at what the weather was going to be that day. I think that being a weather person has to be the best job in the world. At what job can you be wrong most of the time and allowed to excuse your errors everyday and still keep your job?

To answer your question I don't think there is a really reliable source for weather. Many stations now have expanded radar you can look at that may allow you to guess at what is going to happen. Your guess is as good as theirs.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
whale o wash turned me on to noaa.gov years ago. like all his other advice, this was right on; great forecasts.

MEP001

Reaction score
I just listen to my various aches.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I use Intellicast. The Regional and U.S. radar views pretty much tells the story. The 10 day local forecast is also nice when trying to plan something a few days out.

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
Over the years:
"Weatherman Bowman" stood behind a glass partition drawing pictures and writing backwards so the viewers could read the forecast.
"Stormy Rottman" wore green shirts and ties so the green screen appeared on his chest.
Channel 9 hired Kathy Sabine. Nobody cared about her forecasts...she was just stunning to look at!
Ed Green now uses that big touchscreen and gets so excited that he ends up waving his arms around like his trying to fly.
CBS4 uses neighborhood "Weather Watchers". There's always a list of "Watchers" who've reported the high for the day:
Golden: 78
Thornton: 78
Aurora: 79
Boulder: 76
Centennial: 77
Brighton: 79
Yawn...it all feels like 80 to me!

Regardless of who's on screen...They all have trouble telling the viewer what the weather was yesterday!

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Years ago when I lived in Phoenix they had a weatherman named Dewey Hopper. He was a real character. Used to use an umbrella to point on the weather map but the best was a line he said during a live broadcast. He pointed to somewhere in Oklahoma and said that the hail was as big as "goose balls and golf eggs". The whole studio broke out in uncontrolled laughter and they had to go to a station break until things settled down.

gearhead

Reaction score
noaa.gov works best for me. Used to use Weather Underground. Had troubles logging on from time to time. I use radar express for my phone. User friendly radar and forecasts from noaa. My go to.