What's new

Weather closing

jenngamble

Reaction score
What is everyone’s policy on opening/closing due to weather (ie rain/snow/ice)?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Right now we keep the self-serves open 24/7/365. Our IBA is 15 years old with unreliable doors, so I close at 5pm and re-open the bay at 8am when it's below freezing. Once I have my new equipment installed, the IBA will be open 24/7/365 as well.

srr5008

Reaction score
When it dips into single digits and below we usually close. Our IBA doors sometimes freeze in the open position in those temps, and we have problems with our SS weep not keeping up if there is any kind of wind chill in addition to those temps.

Wash4Life

Reaction score
We're a 24/7 car wash with touch-free IBAs, vacuums and self-serve. If it's below 20, we will close.

Eric H

Reaction score
I have my IBAs set to shutdown automatically at -10F. I have Airlift vinyl doors and floor heat. I do NOT have any supplemental heat or heated rails etc.
Self Serve bays stay open 24/7. I've only shutdown overnight a handful of times when the temp was predicted to drop to -30.
I've had some of my best days when the temp didn't get over 15F!

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
ha ha, Southern wash here. No floor heat. We close the autos when they predict a hard freeze. Not a big deal as most cold spells are just a day or two and it's slow then anyway. I don't see much business when its in the 30s. Most people just wait a couple of days for it to warm up, the average winter day high is around 50.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
In recent years we only close when it is blizzard non travel conditions ... when my manpower (employees) become less available then I tend to be closed much more often ... in our area too much ice forming during a severe cold spell on the overhead airlift alaskan polycarbonate doors can be problematic!

We sometimes dread super sloppy weather immediately followed by a horrific below 0° F long lasting cold spell!