What's new

Watts pressure regulator failure

DRsuds

Reaction score

DRsuds

Reaction score
can you take a picture of your setup? Are you using this with a g57 flojet?
I am using it with a g57 I'm not there at the moment but when I get there I will take pictures. The g57 goes directly to the regulator when goes into the normally closed injector block. There's a pressure guage at the top of the block.

Randy

Reaction score
The Watts regulator you’re using is not the right regulator for your application. If you want to lower the outgoing pressure coming out of your G57 pump simply lower the incoming air pressure to the pump. I use a Parker air regulator on the incoming air supply to the pump, very seldom do I ever have any problems with it.

Reactions: Zal

DRsuds

Reaction score
The Watts regulator you’re using is not the right regulator for your application. If you want to lower the outgoing pressure coming out of your G57 pump simply lower the incoming air pressure to the pump. I use a Parker air regulator on the incoming air supply to the pump, very seldom do I ever have any problems with it.
I'm going to pick up some air regulators now and test it. Do you get constant flow? Also about what is your PSI to the pump and PSI to the air?

Randy

Reaction score
I'm going to pick up some air regulators now and test it. Do you get constant flow? Also about what is your PSI to the pump and PSI to the air?
I only have a Flojet pump on the foam brush system and I run the incoming air pressure at around 40psi and get about 40psi output. I run my Presoak at around 110psi with a Procon pump, they are more reliable than the Flojet pumps are.

MEP001

Reaction score
The Flojets need to be mounted to a vertical surface.

Remove those Watts regulators and add an air regulator for the inlet of each pump.

Until you fix those two issues, it will never work right.

DRsuds

Reaction score
The Flojets need to be mounted to a vertical surface.

Remove those Watts regulators and add an air regulator for the inlet of each pump.

Until you fix those two issues, it will never work right.
I didn’t know that they needed to be vertical they’ve just always been horizontal. I will be doing these things tomorrow. Do you know what PSI your chemical is after the pump? If I go to high one of my flojets begins pumping into the other which is why I’m considering putting the two lines on their own check valves. It could be that the injectors are going bad but they don’t leak so I’m unsure.

bighead

Reaction score
I have a friend who has had his flojets on the side like that for 9 years and hasn't replaced one yet.... I don't do it that way, but when I told him that he didn't care enough to change it :)

I would focus on regulating the incoming air into the flojet like randy said. Get it to where the diaphragm clicks about once a second when it turns on, then adjust from there.

MEP001

Reaction score
Do you know what PSI your chemical is after the pump?
I run 40 on foam brush, 65 on tire cleaner, 90 on presoak.
If I go to high one of my flojets begins pumping into the other which is why I’m considering putting the two lines on their own check valves. It could be that the injectors are going bad but they don’t leak so I’m unsure.
The "injectors" are solenoids. One of the Flojets is probably going bad, letting flow from the other one back up through it. The solenoids won't stop that backflow. I've built and installed equipment for at least 100 car washes as well as worked on at least 400 others and have never had an issue with anything backing up into another system unless there was something seriously wrong.

MEP001

Reaction score
I have a friend who has had his flojets on the side like that for 9 years and hasn't replaced one yet.... I don't do it that way, but when I told him that he didn't care enough to change it :)
Same with me, but his Flojets always leaked. He never replaced them, just let them leak. He moved away from them because they always leaked. The ones in DRsuds' pictures are also on their backs and are leaking. I've never had a problem with them leaking.

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
If your pre-soak and tire cleaner are dispensed thru the trigger gun…

You likely have a check valve leaking above one of the bays. A burst of hi-pressure coming down the low pressure tubes can wreak havoc on a FloJet. Strange things start happening and it’s easy to get lost in the diagnosis. And, as you’ve experienced, replacing the wrong part in an attempt to fix it leads to more confusion.

There’s no need for check valves if your products are dispensed thru a 2nd non-trigger foam gun. That would indicate that a FloJet has failed and needs to be replaced…along with those incorrect and improperly installed regulators.

After you find and repair the failed components, do what MEP001 said… get the FloJets off their backs.

MEP001

Reaction score
You likely have a check valve leaking above one of the bays.
The way it's configured now, with the three lines all tee'd at one check valve and the air regulators that bleed off excess pressure, he won't have any problems with a failed check valve, just water coming out the side of the air regulators.