What's new

Watts 009 backflow

SplashnDashRoCo

Reaction score
My back flow preventer was leaking and it turned out that the First Check Valve was cracked so I replaced it, but now I can’t get the Retainer to go back in. Any tricks on how to make this happen? Thank you!

MEP001

Reaction score
5DMJ2_AS01.jpg

You'll need to remove this screw and use something to push down on the valve to keep the diaphragm from pushing out of place. There's probably a gauged tool or screw to do it properly, I used a piece of brass rod and eyeballed it. FWIW, I ended up replacing the whole valve because it needed two of the repair kits which cost barely $50 less than a whole new unit.

washnvac

Reaction score
Can not help your issue, but my town just instituted yearly inspection of these. $400 per wash. Just another nice expense for us rich business owners! :mad:

Eric H

Reaction score
Can not help your issue, but my town just instituted yearly inspection of these. $400 per wash. Just another nice expense for us rich business owners! :mad:
I think you should get all of the other owner together and file an appeal. $400 is excessive.

To the OP, I’ve replaced/rebuilt these a fair number of times. The last one I did a few months ago I also had a hard time getting the 1st check to seat properly to get the retainer to fit. I can usually push the check valve in with my fingers. This last time I had to use a huge amount of plumbers lube and a flat pry bar to get it in the last little bit. I suspect the new plastic mold for one of the components is just a kitten whisker too large.
Whatever you do, do NOT use any force to get the retainer in place. Once I got the 1st check seated all the way the retainer slipped in the easily.

Randy

Reaction score
When I was a young man I used to test and repair backflow preventers. I always hated the Watts 009 backflow unit, they are a PITA to work on. The best thing you can do is get rid of that Watts 009 and replace it with a Zurn Wilkins 975XL they are butt simple to repair.

Attachments

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
The Wilkins is the one I bought to replace my old watts. Just need time to replace it. The old guy who does our test recommended the Wilkins too.

SplashnDashRoCo

Reaction score
When I was a young man I used to test and repair backflow preventers. I always hated the Watts 009 backflow unit, they are a PITA to work on. The best thing you can do is get rid of that Watts 009 and replace it with a Zurn Wilkins 975XL they are butt simple to repair.
I’m going with your recommendation, had to call a plumber and he took it apart, there was a piece of plastic that was not noticeable wedged in the corner.