What's new

Waterless Washing and Scratching

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
The current issue of Modern Car Care Mag. has an article on waterless washing . It acknowledges acceptance is slow in part do to concerns about scratching. It then states:
"The key element is the waterless wash solution (chemical) and a large stock of microfiber towels, which are important in picking up the dirt emulsified in the chemical without scratching the paint."

My BS detector is going off so I look up Emulsify:

"emulsion (ĭ-mŭl'shən) Pronunciation Key
A suspension of tiny droplets of one liquid in a second liquid. By making an emulsion, one can mix two liquids that ordinarily do not mix well, such as oil and water. "

First of all, I think a lot of dirt is not a liquid and will not liquify when sprayed with most solutions. So the term emulsify is misused.

I don't see how this avoids having the gritty dirt scratch the car.

Any thoughts?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Water is a key element in many types of cleaning and sanitizing.

There are many things we wash with water in order to flush away dirt; our bodies, our clothes, our teeth, our dishes.

In Africa there is a general lack of pure water and it is a problem.

I understand the waterless carwash concept and think that it may be applicable in between regular washings.

However, we have all seen cars that a waterless product would be inadequate to use on.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Waterless car wash products clean by emulsifying dirt particles which are then removed off the surface via wiping with microfiber towels.

Emulsification is the property of a liquid to disperse or suspend fine particles in another liquid. The liquid is the water contained in the waterless product which makes up the bulk of the product.

Some waterless products contain a small amount of detergent. Detergent has the ability to remove soils by lowering surface tension, dissolving, suspending, emulsifying or neutralizing soils and inactivating hardness in water.

As you know, detergent also has the property to act as a lubricant to help prevent particles from leaving micro-scratches in the surface of paint during the cleaning process.

Waterless may also contain wetting agents. Wetting agents are compounds that lower surface tension to increase the ability and speed with which a liquid disperses air from a surface.

Waterless contains polymers which is a chemical compound or mixture of compounds formed by polymerization and consisting of long repeating structural chains. This imparts bonding and hydrophobic properties which help protect vehicle surfaces.

Some waterless products may contain a cleaning and polishing agent, such as kaolin clay and carnauba or synthetic wax.

Mix it altogether in some fashion and it’s a miracle.

The major drawback to waterless is winter and vehicles that are more than just a little dirty.

According to Marie Stroman, BellasOnline, The Voice of Woman, Auto Polishing and Detailing Editor, who speaks highly of the waterless concept, “First of all, if you have an older neglected vehicle that hasn't been cared for regularly; let's say about once a week, then waterless car washes is NOT for you at this time.” “You won't get the intended results and your valuable time will be wasted.”

This notion is echoed by the waterless manufacturers which clearly state in their sales literature that waterless car wash products are not intended for vehicles that are excessively soiled, muddy or caked with sand. In this case, the vehicle must first be rinsed with water to remove the excess dirt.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
I can't believe people would like that kind of washing--from what i've seen it has an great ability to attract dust. Must have some sort of oil in it. Only good if the car isn't dirty. To me the water you save --gets used on tons of microfiber towels. What a great savings???

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I can't believe people would like that kind of washing--from what i've seen it has an great ability to attract dust. Must have some sort of oil in it. Only good if the car isn't dirty. To me the water you save --gets used on tons of microfiber towels. What a great savings???
Maybe there is a waterless way to wash all those towels with all that trapped "Emulsified" dirt?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
>>>
Waterless car wash products clean by emulsifying dirt particles which are then removed off the surface via wiping with microfiber towels.

Emulsification is the property of a liquid to disperse or suspend fine particles in another liquid. The liquid is the water contained in the waterless product which makes up the bulk of the product.<<<<<

OK, so pretend I am in first grade. Apparently the waterless indutry uses the term "Emulsify" in a way different than the dictionary does because the dictionary addresses mixing 2 liquids and the dirt is mostly a solid. Nothing i suspended because the stuff is stuck in the MF cloth. Correct?

>>As you know, detergent also has the property to act as a lubricant to help prevent particles from leaving micro-scratches in the surface of paint during the cleaning process.<<<

So you are lubricating grit that gets stuck between the MF towel and the car surface?

>>>Waterless contains polymers which is a chemical compound or mixture of compounds formed by polymerization and consisting of long repeating structural chains. This imparts bonding and hydrophobic properties which help protect vehicle surfaces.<<<

This prevents the dirt from coming into contact with the vehicle surface how?

>>Mix it altogether in some fashion and it’s a miracle.<<<

Uh, miracles are good. I like to believe in miracles. Just don't see them happening in the car wash business.

>>>The major drawback to waterless is winter and vehicles that are more than just a little dirty.

According to Marie Stroman, BellasOnline, The Voice of Woman, Auto Polishing and Detailing Editor, who speaks highly of the waterless concept, “First of all, if you have an older neglected vehicle that hasn't been cared for regularly; let's say about once a week, then waterless car washes is NOT for you at this time.” “You won't get the intended results and your valuable time will be wasted.”

This notion is echoed by the waterless manufacturers which clearly state in their sales literature that waterless car wash products are not intended for vehicles that are excessively soiled, muddy or caked with sand. In this case, the vehicle must first be rinsed with water to remove the excess dirt.
I guess that's the key. Works great on clean cars.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
If the car has to be fairly clean -- why not save the money(For Waterless) and just use a little water on a towel to clean the car, it probably emulsifies almost better as we haven't seen any data that shows it actually works.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
There is no way a waterless product dissolves a solid particle regardless of how small it might be. It may hold it in suspension but it cannot prevent that particle from scratching the surface even in suspension.