What's new

Waterless Carwash? No thanks.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I saw an infomercial on a waterless carwash product over the weekend.

Where does all the dirt go?

If I wash with water, much of the dirt is rinsed away before any friction is used.

If I use the HP wash setting in my SS bay, an even higher amount of dirt is rinsed off the finish.

Perhaps a waterless product has a place in car cleaning; show cars that owners are loathe to get wet. The occasional dustoff. Car lots, etc.

But the cars I see at my carwash aren't washed frequently enough as it is. I can't imaging grinding the grit into the finish with a cloth and the waterless product. I doubt it lubricates well enough to keep the grit off the finish, especially when there is no water to rinse it away.

Imagine washing your dishes this way; just wiping the food off with a waterless dish soap and not rinsing! Imagine washing your body this way; just getting naked, lathering up with some lotion/soap and towel drying. Yuck!

There's a reason water is used. It's a good reason. The water rinses the dirt away!

BillClinton

Reaction score
There is an "environmentally friendly" side to it (so they say). Since everything that is considered "green" is hot right now, I wonder if it could be a money maker. There are waterless carwash franchises. I could see this being a big money maker in California, New England, etc. Here in TN, I doubt many would pay $35+ for it, which is what a waterless car wash goes for. The product is supposed to "emulsify" the grime so it can be wiped away with a micro fiber towel.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Yep,

Everyone seems to ignore the elephant in the room. Grinding the dirt into the car with nothing to reduce the abrasiveness.

But heck, not alot different than many hand washes that trap the dirt between the sponge and surface and everyone knows thats better than a machine wash, right?