What's new

Water Wizard 2.0 does Not contour

robblackburn

Reaction score
My WW 2.0 is not contouring. There are not any alarms that indicate a problem. The boom will drop and wash the front and back of vehicle but wil not contour from front to back. I have checked the following .... it si programmed properly, the boom safety eyes are working and communicate to input card, all height eyes are working properly. Any suggestions ?

Thx.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Well Rob, you have covered the bases, so I'm just grasping at straws here:
checked inputs on the red lion in addition to the input card?
Have you checked the can eyes?
performed a boom count test?
looked at permanent alarm record for profile alarms?

robblackburn

Reaction score
Thanks for reply.

Yes have watched the inputs on red lion and everything looks normal.
Then an eyes are working properly and boom count test is good.

In permanent alarms the only thing I get is message about boom safety eyes detecting obstruction. The strange thing is the boom will always wash the front and the rear it never contour.

I am not sure what to do other than start replacing boom safety eyes and see if any thing changes.

An other thoughts ?

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
It sounds like I'm not going to be much help.

check both contour and boom eyes during a wash to see if the signal is lost due to high pressure(if you haven't already).

Also, on a fusion X I had a problem with the boom and profiling eyes interfering with each other. The contour eyes would work fine until a boom was dropped down to their level, then they would cut off, even though they were on different channels. I managed to fix that with those eye shields they are installing on the boom eyes now.

toddmullens

Reaction score
Having this exact issue now and have determined that the machine thinks the boom safety eyes are blocked at some point during the first few seconds on the high pressure pass at both the front and rear passes. Replaced the boom safety eyes as I was only getting a signal strength of 3 but with new eyes at full 4 signal, I still have the same problem. Leaning towards a bad input card on channel 2008 possibly? Did you find a fix on this even though this post is old as hell😂. Boom comes down at front and rear but doesn’t do the contouring. Getting alarm 19 and 20 which relates to the boom safety can eyes and not the safety eyes on the spray boom. I watched the input on the gantry card during a wash and didn’t see it turn off at any point at the front or rear of car. Also got soaked but at least it’s warm outside now. Watched the plc inputs inside on the red lion and they turned off when blocked by the vehicle but stayed on at the front and rear during the high pressure spray cycles. One would think they would be blinking on and off if they were actually detecting something or being weak and blocked by the high pressure spray. Bad cards have been an issue in the past when I have eliminated every other possibility. That’s the only other thing I can think of at the moment.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Todd, did you replace the eye wire also? 90% of my eye problems are related to that connection made between the long cable and the eye. I now only use the ones with the long built-in cable, not the short ones with a pigtail connector.

On eyes that have poor signal I've used plastic polish if they have a heavy buildup. You can't polish them back clear though, but they seem to work fine if the buildup is removed with rubbing compound or polish.

If any of your profiling eyes have errors the boom will quit contouring but will continue to go down at the front and back of the car. If the boom doesn't come down at the front or back it's the can eyes or boom safety eyes.

I'd also go back to the basics and make sure you have good voltage to the all eyes. The other day I had to install a new transmitter eye and all the wires were corroded in the terminal block in the waterproof box. I need to go back and re-strip the wires and clean all connections.

toddmullens

Reaction score
The eyes I replaced were the hard wire type without the quick disconnect. I have learned not to use the quick connect eyes. They always mess up at the quick connection. I am getting error code 19 and 20, both of which refer to the boom safety eye (can eye) seeing an obstruction but the boom still goes up and down at the front and back of the vehicle. It’s strange as the input never turns off on the card or the red lion plc input screen. Now the eyes on the spray boom sense an obstruction on every pass and has since the day it was installled. Both of the machines do at this site but the other still contours like it should. I believe the high pressure water jets are blocking the eyes for a split second causing this alarm. I replaced the input card and still have the same issue. Time to bring out the fine tooth comb I guess and go through all the wires and connections and see if I can locate an obvious issue. These are the worst type of problems. I wonder if the original poster came up with a solution to his issue…

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Todd to clarify (and I think you know this) the can eye and boom safety eyes are two different things. If the can eye has an error I don't think the boom will drop at all front or back. And to further confuse things the front and back boom safety eyes refer to the eye in relation to the car, not their location on the gantry. So the front boom eye is located on the entrance side and rear boom eye is on the exit side.

Do a test wash in dry wash mode and that will hint if your problem is water spray-related.

Make sure the eyes are on the right channel too. I've run into a problem where eyes weren't on the right channel and cross talking with each other. I've got the wiring diagram if you need it. After cleaning and checking all connections and channels and assuming you have all new boom safety eyes and the lights on 2010 aren't going off I'd try replacing the card,

toddmullens

Reaction score
I will have to check on the other machine to make sure that the boom comes down in dry wash mode, but I did a dry wash and the boom did not come down on the machine that is currently not working correctly, however during a regular wash, the boom does come down at the front and rear. The fact that the boom comes down with the error I am getting is what is confusing me. I replaced the card and have the same results. All eyes are on the correct channel and this machine does not have all the receivers on one side like my older 2.0. I assume there was some cross talk issues in the past so they changed the boom safety eyes on the spray boom where the transmitters are on passenger side. There are some quirks in the programming of these machine but it has worked properly in the past but I am beginning to wonder if an update is available to make it work better. Sometimes after a power cycle of the machine, when a wash is purchased the machine will just flash the red please wait sign and scroll welcome again. It takes 3 wash purchases during this before it goes out of service. Simply pressing the reset button will prevent this or clear the issue when it happens. It will post a count separation alarm but the gantry never moves. It’s strange for sure. Only happens after a power cycle or power outage and not every time.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I have the same power-related problem. If the power blinks I have to press the reset button.

I assume you have been checking permanent alarm record and not user alarms. Look back and see if these problem started with a particular eye not testing correctly. Sometimes you can see a potential problem eye on the red lion inputs because it's slow to power back up in comparison to the other eyes. If you have a spare ice cube relay I would plug it in to try, just cause it's cheap and takes 30 seconds.

Etowah