What's new

Water Wizard 2.0 boom hit two cars

mike riley

Reaction score
While rinsing tri foam Boom did not raise up enough to clear luggage rack on Saturn SUV thus rolling across rack then bumping top. The boom then came back across top again without raising. Can anybody help? This happened twice and is hurting my business.:mad:

Reds

Reaction score
I would check the safety eyes that are on the boom. I believe that the #4 light should be lit if they are working properly. I would check all the other eyes too. I wipe mine clean every day and keep 2 spares on hand. How tall was the luggage rack? I run my truck thru my WW2.0 all the time with a cap on it that has a ladder rack on top of it. With no problem. SUV should go thru without trouble. I would check those eyes ASAP. The only problem I have ever had with the boom hitting something was an empty wheelchair rack on the back of a van - the eyes were in front and behind the vertical posts of the rack and didn't see anything. So the boom came down directly on top of the rack. But that was an unusual situation where everything was lined up just at the wrong place.

mike riley

Reaction score
boom hit car

I just put two new eyes on the boom and thought it fixed the problem. It did not. My boom count is 86/86 when I test it. When doing a multi test the boom will stop after a few times and give alarm 14 and 13. Also where can I get Turck proxs. maybe they are bad. My dealer is 300 miles away and charges 600.00 just for travel then 109.00 a hour. It takes him a week just to get me scheduled. All help is appreciated.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Have you observed the problem? It could be your gearbox going bad, allowing the boom to drift downward during the wash process. the eyes will usually catch it and prevent it from striking but it doesn't always catch it in time and can hit the top of a car (ask me how I know). What is the description of those alarms you mentioned?

MEP001

Reaction score
mouser.com has the Turck prox switches.

Reds

Reaction score
One of those error codes (#13?) is "the top boom motor ran too long". Is it possible that on a multi test the 20 second time limit for the top motor is exceeded and sends that alarm? I would also check my cables. I have had to replace cables several times, although usually it's an eye or prox that is bad. When you "trip" the eye it should light up a light on one of the input or output cards in the gantry electrical panel. There is a sticker on the door that tells you which # light should go on when a signal reaches the gantry. There are several cards and several stickers that identify the card and the lights/contacts -make sure you are looking at the correct card, which is identified by a #. Find the contact (light) # for each of the boom eyes, cover the eyes completely and see if the light is lit. The eye could be good, but the signal may not be getting thru to the gantry panel. Ditto the prox switches - check the lights and see if they light up when a piece of metal is in front of them.

Last edited:

mike riley

Reaction score
boom hit car

Has anyone ever had this happen. I will check all the eyes again tomorrow. I machine is only three years old. I hope it is not the gear box. This happened once and I changed the Boom eyes and it washed maybe fifty cars and then it did it again. I saw it on the camera and it looks like on that one pass it just does not go up far enough thus catching the rack and top of car when it leaves the rack. It has hurt my business and I have it shut down at the present. We all know what losing revenue is to a car wash business!!! I did not find proxy sensors on mouser. May need to call them??? Thanks for all the help.

MEP001

Reaction score
Their search engine sucks unless you know exactly what to search for, but you can download and browse their catalog. I can't say for sure they have the right one for your application, but they most certainly do have Turck prox switches.

wisheewashee

Reaction score
wizard

Mike it almost sounds like the WW is sizing the height. Not sure if the 2.0 is same as 1.0 in this area, but is the ww thinking you have a car instead of truck so it is leaving the boom down 18 inches?

Also you may want to play with the Danfoss for the boom (or Ormaron) and try raising the frequency a tad. It is possible that your FVD may be going bad.