What's new

Water softness testing

Haines

Reaction score
Quick question, I have a water test kit that uses the powder and then you count drops for the solution to turn from blue to pink (or vice versa, can't recall at the moment). Anyway, whenever I add the powder the water is already the "right" color; without adding any drops. Does this mean the sample is less than 1 grain hardness? I've thoroughly flushed the sample vial and bottle thinking it was contaminated, also ran water to make sure the sample was fresh.

In the past, the sample took one drop to turn color, so I'm not sure if it's supposed to start the "soft" color or not?

Thanks for the help!

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
"Pink" means hard
"Blue" mean soft

Each drop of the reagent equals 1 grain

Haines

Reaction score
If it's blue before any reagent is added, then it's less than one grain?

Last edited:

mrfixit

Reaction score
Yeas less than one grain.. Your water is soft for sure.

If you want to confirm the test kit is good, get some hard water and see the difference in the test.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Starting blue is great. Test your tap water and see how many grains it is. some softener shave a way to set what the inbound hardness is so it knows when to regenerate appropriately.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
If you're running zero grain water, you'll definitely save a ton of $$$ on chemicals!

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I will say that my Hach kit went bad after a while and loose their ability to change colors vividly. They do expire, and I can verify mine went bad. When I replaced it the color change was significant

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Most testing kits have a shelf life that is usually listed somewhere on the instructions. I used to try to carry a new kit along with me as a back up and use it when I thought testing results might be off. It was a good way to double check test results and saved me a lot of problems several times.

Etowah