What's new

Water Softener

Kirb

Reaction score
I have a 5 bay SS wash that never had a water softener. I had my hardness checked and it was 4. Talking to a few sales reps that call on my wash, one says that I have a softener and the other says with that low hardness you don't. Do I need a softener? What advantage will I get if I add one? If so where would you recomend purchasing a softener.
Thanks for your help,
Kirb

Gabriel

Reaction score
When we went into business 15 years ago my water was checked at 4. Every supplier that checked it said that their water softner systems could hardly do better. Never had a problem and eleminated the expense and problems that go with the systems.

MEP001

Reaction score
If you're not seeing problems like build-up on the walls, you probably don't need a softener, at least that's the test I've always used.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
You do not need a softener. Anything 5 or below is fine.

johnny

johnny
Reaction score
you may need a small one for the spot free water

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
You can use water 4 grain water in an RO system without softening. Water at 4 grains is considered to be soft. Actually I have been told most RO systems can use water up to 8 grains hard but I would not recommend that.

MEP001

Reaction score
I agree, with that low hardness it would never pay off to soften the RO water.

Wally

Reaction score
This is interesting. I`ve been dumping salt in my softner for years because it came with the RO system and I told it was necessary to protect the membranes in the RO system. My water is 4 grains also. Now I`m hearing I don`t need to pay $5 per bag for salt anymore. Should I just stop?

Kirb

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I have a couple of extra bucks that I want to invest in the wash. I have update Boxes with tri foam, cc and bills in bays. Shurvend or Combo vacs?
Thanks again,
Kirb

mac

Reaction score
Just make sure that you have a charcoal prefilter for the RO. It takes the chlorine out that the city puts in.