What's new

Water meter size

MEP001

Reaction score
You could, but you might end up pulling everything else down even more. You might consider a good sized tank for the dog wash and a well pump to draw from that.

Matfry

Reaction score
mine have 2" lines and 2" meter. I had water supply issues in the past at one site and it was huge PITA. Pressure drop was too great during high demand causing issues with chemical consistency.

Does the 1" base rate provide the same number of gallons as the 2"?
base rate = flat fee i pay before using any gallons other wise the price of gallons are the same no matter what size meter

Roz

Reaction score
This chart may help you understand water flow through pipes.

we redid our 1.5” pipe into a 6 bay (5/1) location because 35 years ago they quickly reduced the pipe to 3/4” after the backflow preventer. Now we have 1” to Razor and SS equipment. Pressure gauge behind the backflow is 70-90psi. Drops to 40-50psi if everything in use. We also added a spot free reclaim tank for the razor that helps keep pressure on the razor in the right range.

Matfry

Reaction score
This chart may help you understand water flow through pipes.

we redid our 1.5” pipe into a 6 bay (5/1) location because 35 years ago they quickly reduced the pipe to 3/4” after the backflow preventer. Now we have 1” to Razor and SS equipment. Pressure gauge behind the backflow is 70-90psi. Drops to 40-50psi if everything in use. We also added a spot free reclaim tank for the razor that helps keep pressure on the razor in the right range.

thanks for the info but my lines are all copper with 68 pounds of pressure right after meter would that matter, charts are for pvc

Matfry

Reaction score
What is your water pressure? Pipe size is meaningless without knowing how much pressure is behind a 1" pipe with everything running. I've dealt with a 5-bay SS on a 1 1/2" main that had to add a booster pump.
the pressure is 69 pounds after the meter

Randy

Reaction score
I don't think you'll have any problem going down to a 1" water from a 2" meter. I'd call the city on Monday morning and start the process of getting changed out.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Is that static pressure, with no water flowing, or with maximum water flowing, i.e. residual pressure?

Static pressure is not a good way to gauge water flow capacity. put a gauge in the system and open the largest flow possible, maybe the float valve on an automatic AND at least one hose bibb. If the pressure drops very little you might be ok, but if the pressure drops below 40-50psi you're probably not going to be able to downsize.

Hydrominders specs reference operating at 40 psi in their documents but I talked to an engineer one time at hydro systems and she said they would work fine down to 25psi.

Last edited:

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
What did you do to fix it Greg?

I'm experiencing the same at my site since I've went with the dual Petits. I have a busy dog wash and on busy days the dog wash slows to a trickle.

Was wondering If I could do a boost pump to just the dog wash?

I actually found I could partially close the ball valves on the auto and self serve and get enough pressure to make my hydrominders work ok. A bladder tank and/or boost ,pump may take care of your problem.

Roz

Reaction score
thanks for the info but my lines are all copper with 68 pounds of pressure right after meter would that matter, charts are for pvc
Ours are copper too. I was told by our plumber that the chart is a good overall indicator. Pipe Friction is different but close enough for a sound estimate.