What's new

Water meter size

Matfry

Reaction score
Was wondering on what size water meters you need? I have a razor in one bay and 3 self serves with a 2 inch meter then in a second location I have a laser 4000 with 1 self serve bay and it works just fine with a 1 inch meter both locations have twin water softeners and identical ro systems and i use a resovoir tank on the self serves in both locations as does the automatics. im trying to get the city to give me a 1 inch meter instead of the 2 inch as they charge hefty for the 2 inch. the only differenct between the two location is the 2 self seves which only increase the gpm need by 4.2 gpm. what size meter are you all running.
thanks matt

OurTown

Reaction score
1" seems small to me but incoming pressure would play into it.

Timmb

Reaction score
I have a 2" main with a 1" meter running 3 ss and 1 IBA. l have all the other things you have with no problems.

OurTown

Reaction score
We have a 2" main and meter.

MEP001

Reaction score
Was wondering on what size water meters you need?
What is your water pressure? Pipe size is meaningless without knowing how much pressure is behind a 1" pipe with everything running. I've dealt with a 5-bay SS on a 1 1/2" main that had to add a booster pump.

OurTown

Reaction score
We are running a touchless and three SS bays. It is about 52 psi coming in and about 42 psi after the backflow preventer. It drops to about 25 when the Cat 3535 kicks on but I think our softeners need re-bed.

Matfry

Reaction score
We are running a touchless and three SS bays. It is about 52 psi coming in and about 42 psi after the backflow preventer. It drops to about 25 when the Cat 3535 kicks on but I think our softeners need re-bed.
Thank you your rinsing with soft water?

Matfry

Reaction score
What is your water pressure? Pipe size is meaningless without knowing how much pressure is behind a 1" pipe with everything running. I've dealt with a 5-bay SS on a 1 1/2" main that had to add a booster pump.
I’m in the process of hooking a gauge up I’ll let you know thank you

Kevin James

Reaction score
It all depends on the condition of your incoming water main, is it steel or plastic. If it's steel it could be plugged up with rust. Your looking for volume not pressure. you could have 100psi but only have a 1/2" hole in your 1" pipe so your not going to get the volume your looking for. But if your using plastic pipe you should e fine. you could always install a storage tank.

Timmb

Reaction score
85 psi coming in a 2" main 1" meter, 45psi with everything running on a busy day, if the softner regens it drops another 5psi.

Matfry

Reaction score
A 1" pipe is 1/4 the size of a 2" pipe. I think you would be asking for a lot of unnecessary problems.
It all depends on the condition of your incoming water main, is it steel or plastic. If it's steel it could be plugged up with rust. Your looking for volume not pressure. you could have 100psi but only have a 1/2" hole in your 1" pipe so your not going to get the volume your looking for. But if your using plastic pipe you should e fine. you could always install a storage tank.
I have a 2 inch copper main then 2 inch meter then 2 inch backflow then it gets reduced to 1.5 inches then reduced again to 1 inch for auto and 3/4 inch for self serve which both have resovoir tanks that feed the pumps so basically im being fed by 1.5 inch already, evrything is copper lines for the most part

Matfry

Reaction score
thank you for the information the reason im trying to get my meter reduced is the base rate charge on the 2 inch meter here is $322.09 per month
and a 1 inch is $146.33 per month where my other location(different city 30 miles away) that has same equipment using a 1 inch meter at $35.45 per month and if I was using a 2 inch meter there it would only cost $97.25 per month. I have to wash 30 cars before I get the base rate paid for. base rate = fee I have to pay before I even start using water. what are your guys base rates?

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
mine have 2" lines and 2" meter. I had water supply issues in the past at one site and it was huge PITA. Pressure drop was too great during high demand causing issues with chemical consistency.

Does the 1" base rate provide the same number of gallons as the 2"?

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
One of my sites has 5 SS bays and a 90' tunnel. The tunnel runs a cat 3535 pump for the hp. The site has a 1.5" meter. We've never had a starvation problem, but we also put in a 300 gallon "cheater tank" that feeds the 3535 when we built it.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
mine have 2" lines and 2" meter. I had water supply issues in the past at one site and it was huge PITA. Pressure drop was too great during high demand causing issues with chemical consistency.

Does the 1" base rate provide the same number of gallons as the 2"?
What did you do to fix it Greg?

I'm experiencing the same at my site since I've went with the dual Petits. I have a busy dog wash and on busy days the dog wash slows to a trickle.

Was wondering If I could do a boost pump to just the dog wash?