What's new

Water in my CAT 1540

Addy's

Reaction score
I changed oil yesterday and found the oil is a milky white. I know this is water but not sure how long I have before I change seals without damaging anything. I was going to order a seal kit tomorrow. Should I stop using pump ? It is on mu gantry.

MEP001

Reaction score
It depends on how much water is getting in the oil. I had a hose burst which sprayed water onto a pump. I caught it pretty soon and changed the oil a few times but a week later it was trying to sieze up. Crankcase ruined.

Are you sure it's seals and not moisture from the pump being on the gantry? If it's seals, you should see water leaking from under the manifold when it's running.

Addy's

Reaction score
Water in oil

Not sure how water is getting in. It is only on the drivers side. The other side looks good. I was looking at the site glass and noticed the white color. I changed both sides but the other side looked good. That was yesturday and today the site glass is turning colors already. The other side looks good. I am not sure how water is getting in but I thought seals would be a start. Any suggestions.

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
I suspect a cracked plunger or cut plunger retainer o-ring. High pressure water can be forced into the crankcase with either situation.