What's new

Water hardness

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
I tested the water at my wash several times.

First test the hardness came back at about 3. next test about 5. All subsequent tests between 3 and 5.

At what point would one consider adding spot free rinse? Am I in that range? And is the variation normal? Our water supply is from wells.....

OurTown

Reaction score
Hardness is unrelated to total dissolved solids but our softener takes it to zero grains of hardness. Our TDS is still in the mid 300s so we still need SFR. Do you have a softener and what is your TDS?

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
In addition to OurTown’s comment:
If your raw water is 3-5 grains per gallon, you should consider installing a softener. You‘ll improve the wash quality and reduce soap consumption.

If you have a softener, you need to fix it. A properly operating softener should provide 0 grain hardness water regardless of the raw water’s hardness.

You’ll also need to ensure 0 grain water supply to an RO system to prevent premature fouling of the membrane(s).

Sample your raw water’s hardness and TDS. The results will aid in your decision process.
BTW...TDS below 50 ppm should require no further processing.

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
I don't have any softener. I use municipal water. How do you test for TDS? The kit I bought only does water hardness.

MEP001

Reaction score
I don't have any softener. I use municipal water. How do you test for TDS? The kit I bought only does water hardness.
You need a TDS tester. The next best test is to thoroughly wash a black vehicle and immediately park it in the sun. If it dries with no visible spots, you probably don't need a softener or spot free rinse.