What's new

Water and Electronics don't mix

Wally

Reaction score
A couple of years ago at my other wash my GC stainless steel solenoid manifold block on my tire cleaner blew out. The stem that screws into the ss that the solenoid is attached to is made of copper. The tire cleaner had eroded the copper threads and the stem popped out letting water shoot across the room and it knocked out my Dixmor weepmizer. Friday at my other wash I found the same thing had happened but this time it knocked out my nearly new Rudd Rheem Advantage Plus water heater. It has a pretty complex control unit mounted on the front in an enclosed area but it had a lot of condensation in it from the cold water spraying on it all day apparently. Has anybody else had one of these solenoids pop out? I plan to order new stems and replace all of them on the tire cleaner and the pre soak.

MEP001

Reaction score
I'd replace them with another solenoid that's all stainless steel instead.

Ceverett

Fixer Of Things
Reaction score
Maybe a more earth friendly tire cleaner? Lustra's tire cleaner does a great job and its super easy on valves and diaphrams and whatnot.

mac

Reaction score
I have noticed an uncanny knack for a leak to hit the most expensive item in range. I was once adding a regular electric outlet to the breaker panel in my house, and had the cover to the panel removed. As I went to check the voltage, the hot water hose to the washing machine, located about 10 feet away, suddenly blew and shot a nice stream right at the panel.

washnvac

Reaction score
Wally-do not order the replacement stems! They are $22+ each. You can replace the whole set up for $100-122 with kip solenoids. That is what I did. I got rid of all the gc. That stem design is pi$$ poor on a ss block. That happened to me several times at different locations. At first I ordered the replacement stems for a 5 block. Then I replaced the brass body with a ss at a cost of $170. Then I got smart and replaced the entire manifold with a kip at $121. No issues whatsover since the change. Take all the gc stuff to the scrap yard! I contactged gc several times with absolutely no response from them. I told Mike C. @ KR they should stop selling that crap, but I still see it in the catalog.