What's new

Washworld Repair

newboy

newbot
Reaction score
just some food for thought. i had a service call the other day on a 3 year old WASHWORLD HIGH VELOCITY machine. the main control cabinet got wet due to a hose break. dried out the cabinet while holding my breath expecting the worst. it must have been the operators lucky day. the only problem was a bad out put module on the Micrologix 1500 plc controller. i did not have one with me, and it was too late in the day for NDA from Washworld. i called a few local suppliers and found a one that had 2 of the modules in stock. drove 5 miles and had the machine running in an hour.
the main point of my post is to show operators and investors that not all manufacturers lock in parts sales by using only proprietary parts on their systems. some manufacturers really do want their customers to make money while not being locked into buying replacement parts from only one source. in many cases, the operator can't ever begin to trouble shoot or make a simple repair due to the complex nature of the machine.
THANKS WASHWORLD.............

mac

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. This company has been doing a lot of things right, as compared to their neighbors in Wisconsin.

jcollins

Reaction score
Sounds to me like the complex nature of that HIGH VELOCITY was too much for that owner/operator if they had to call you to come fix it for them. ......If they were paying you to come fix it for them, you should have had the part with you.

Gabriel

Reaction score
I doubt that there is an Automatic manufactured that has never needed a service call, especially if water and electronics are involved. We do 90% of our repairs, but there are times that we absolutely cannot diagnose a problem much less fix it. Proprietary parts are a problem for all involved and many times the exact manufacturer part is not available either locally or from the Distributor. Sometimes, not even from the Manufacturer. I would salute Wash World for there efforts in makeing a good Automatic that owners can own, operate, and for the most part work on. Not true for many manufacturers unfortunately. I do not own one, but I do admire the Company for their reliability, service and tech assistance and for giving their operators a good piece of equipment that is not cloaked in secrecy. My good friend in a neighboring town does own a Wash World and I envy the support system that is made available to him by Wash World. Something worth remembering!

newboy

newbot
Reaction score
i thank mr. collins for the reply to the post. i know we have all recogonized mr. collins as a very qualified pdq tech. i personally have had much appreciated support from him with unusual problems that his remidies have proven to be very accurate.
i am quite suprised at the "complex nature" description of the washworld machine by mr. collins in his reply. with that comment by mr. collins, i feel that i have ruffled feathers. if my original post was viewed as a direct slam against a particular mfg., i apologize to mr. collins and any other reader that may have viewed my post as such.
my original post was intended to share information with other operators and investors that may experience similar problems which i thought was the reason that the forum is available for it's readers.
i am quite familiar with the washworld machine. with reagrd to the statement of a "good service tech would have had a replacement part on the truck", i completly agree. i feel that a good service tech is familar with the weak points of the equipment being serviced and arrives at the site with a full complement of replacement parts to support those weaknesses. with that thought in mind, i could service the washworld machine out of a kroger shopping cart.

mac

Reaction score
jcollins, I just could not let your comments go unanswered. It shows an utter and complete lack of understanding on how things work, and especially service. I'll just pick apart the easy targets.
1. Why do you assume that all owners should be able to fix any problem with a machine?I have been servicing automatics for about 30 years and see many owners. My guess is that half rely on outside maintenance for other than routine things.
2. You must not be familiar with different brands of machines. Some, especially the newer foreign ones, are not even close to being user friendly. A friend of mine that works on Wesumats, had to take a three day school on just how to program the thing. Not fix it, just to program it. The average owner will never get to understand them. At least Wash World has one that most times a tech on the phone can help you fix it.
3. Your point about not having the part is the most ludicrious. Nobody, repeat nobody, carries every part on a van for a machine. It is physically impossible. You would practically need to carry around a complete machine to do that. My techs work of eight different brands of equipment. I guess I should have them drive around in a semi to keep all the parts needed. Man, think of my inventory cost on that.
4. Many manufacturers, such as Mark 7, start the warranty on a replacement part when it leaves the factory. Think about that. If a tech carries a delicate part like a computer module around in his van for 8 to 10 months before needing it, it will only have a very short time left on warranty. What if it fails two weeks later? Who eats that? With this part, it is also very likely to be damaged just by bumping around in a service van. Some things are just too delicate or so rarely used, that you do not carry them.
5. Newboy was able to find the part locally. Try that with ANY of the so called three major players , i.e. Ryko, Mark 7, or PDQ. Ain't gonna happen.

mac

Reaction score
Follow up to jcollins. My guess si that you are either associated with another brand of machine, and just think that it is the ultimate answer to everything, or you are one of those that look down their noses at someone who would rather hire a good tech than spend two days messing with something that they still might not be able to fix. If I am off base on this, please respond and let us know exactly why.

bwilliams

Reaction score
jcollins, being your service manager I will go ahead and respond on this forum. I think I told you a long time ago your willingness to help strangers in this industry and expertise on equipment would sonner or later bite you in the a_ _. Your criticism of a tech not having an out put card on his van is a correct, that would be unacceptable "within our company", please remember our standards for service "sometimes" are greater than others within this industry. To the rest of the readers of this forum, I would be very thankfull of Mr. Collins free troubleshooting skills he has provided for you (mostly against my advice, for these skills are aquired over a long time of working with a reputable distributor, which the bashing of distributors and ways to go around them seem to be a major goal of many of the post I read). Thats enough rambling from me. John, be careful what you say on here, your skills are to valuble to be given away for free. If you want quality service, call a qualified company and expect to pay for the services you recieve.
Brett Williams/service manager (for a qualified distributor)

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Mr. Williams,

Since you appear to feel you should charge for any car wash information dispensed how much did you charge for your post?

This forum serves the purpose of giving interested members of our industry the opportunity to seek and share information. Many in our industry are struggling to make it in today's economic situation. For some, the information that they get here may make a difference between success or failure. I certainly realize that for service and parts there must be a charge. If every "qualified" distributor and members of this forum felt the way you did about advice the industry would surely suffer. Thank God for the Forum. It protects many from "qualified" distributors not willing to be satisfied with the money they make by selling and servicing equipment and and chemicals and works to create a stronger industry through the sharing of knowledge.

MEP001

Reaction score
I've worked in the car wash industry for a long time and talked to many, many car wash owners. The general feeling toward bigger distributors and manufacturers that offered no tech help without compensation was resentment. I always answered customers' questions without hesitation and without charge, and it built customer loyalty.

I suppose if you don't want your customers calling unless they have a problem, that's your business. I always liked answering the phone and hearing "When are you coming to see me?"

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
Getting back on track...that is one of the reasons I chose a WashWorld. I am very pleased with their service and support also. When the time comes, I see no reason not to choose them again.

jcollins

Reaction score
newboy,
The first paragragh of this thread I thought was educational, it had good information for sharing with other owner/operators that could possibly need it. The second paragragh, I got the impression a WashWorld distributor or associate was trolling for flamers. Then sure enough, with the second post came a Magic Spray distributor with a little bash for PDQ.

mac,
1. I do not assume all owners can fix their own machine. But if they want to try, I will help them if I can.
2. I am familiar with many other machines. I try to avoid them and stick with what I know. I can talk any convenience store clerk through reprogramming a Laser.
3.I carry every, repeat every, part that would keep a Laser from running, except a high pressure pump or HP pump motor (too much weight). If you strip down a bridge and pump station, all the parts will easily fit in a service van along with all the parts for the support equipment and a welder for any needed repairs.
4.I'm going to carry ANY part that could keep the machines I work on running.
5.You can get parts for Ryko, Mark VII, Pdq at most any discount warehouse. I think Kleenrite has a complete line of check valves, regulaters, solenoid valves......

Mac, I've been posting on this forum about eight years and you know very well that I'm associated with a PDQ distributor. While I would rather a "downed" machine be fixed as quickly as possible with a qualified technician, you can't take away the right of an owner to try and fix it themselves. I fix a lot more machines over the phone with the owners than I generate service tickets, that is part of our service.

MikeV

Reaction score
I have "friends" all over the country that I have done installations for and it is always a pleasure to hear from them, whether its just to say hello, or for tech support. Most of them call me before they call the manufacturer for support. I guess I'm easier to get hold of. For my "in town" customers, I respond usually the same day and usually have the part on my van. But I can't conceiveably carry every part that I might need. It would take a much bigger truck than I have now.

mac

Reaction score
There is sometimes an elitist attitude that gets ingrained without noticing it. A lot of people associated with a particular brand get to thinking that theirs is the "best" and people working on something else aren't quite up to snuff. There are a lot of good people working on all the brands of equipment. Also pointing out the shortcomings of some person or company is not bashing. If something isn't right, pointing that out is simply that. And Mr Collins, your statement "You can get parts for Ryko, Mark VII, Pdq at most any discount warehouse. I think Kleenrite has a complete line of check valves, regulaters, solenoid " is some fantasy. Go to a power transmission store and see if you can get a Ryko or PDQ gearbox. Go to a pneumatic store and see if you can get an air cylinder. Ryko in particular has EVERY part custom made, so that it is difficult to swap it out with something. I had a wonderful time trying to get parts for a virtual treadle. Went to Discount Auto, Ace Hardware, and finally to PDQ. Had to spend about $3,500 for a lawyer to write letters to PDQ, Dover, and the distributor, all to no avail. Screw you I was told. I'm a big boy and took it in stride. But I sure like to remind people of the friendly services of Wash World, and the inept ones at PDQ.

galen

Reaction score
I have know Mr. Collins for several years now, and I will say that he is a fine person to know. We have traded information in the past and will in the future. I have also talked to Mr. Williams at the trade shows, and he answered questions I ask about machines he represents. So he also will "give" back to the industry. He may bark, but he doesn't bite. ;)

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
There is sometimes an elitist attitude that gets ingrained without noticing it. A lot of people associated with a particular brand get to thinking that theirs is the "best" and people working on something else aren't quite up to snuff. There are a lot of good people working on all the brands of equipment. Also pointing out the shortcomings of some person or company is not bashing. If something isn't right, pointing that out is simply that. And Mr Collins, your statement "You can get parts for Ryko, Mark VII, Pdq at most any discount warehouse. I think Kleenrite has a complete line of check valves, regulaters, solenoid " is some fantasy. Go to a power transmission store and see if you can get a Ryko or PDQ gearbox. Go to a pneumatic store and see if you can get an air cylinder. Ryko in particular has EVERY part custom made, so that it is difficult to swap it out with something. .
Mac,
I think in the first two lines you are describing yourself!
You take any chance you get to bash your competition! I will openly admit if someone has a good product. Try touting the benefits of your product and quit your bitchin about any one you feel threatened by! You claim that EVERY Ryko part is proprietary only shows how full of it you really are. Your claims are often ridiculous to the point of absurdity! I would guess 87.5% of your posts are self serving and derogatory towards any brand you are not associated with. At your age I would think you would have learned to show a little more honor in your conduct. I am curios, are you the owner, salesman or repairman at your company?

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Getting back on track...that is one of the reasons I chose a WashWorld. I am very pleased with their service and support also. When the time comes, I see no reason not to choose them again.
Sounds like you have the ability to maintain your own wash, that is great! How long have you had your wash in operation?