What's new

WashTech error code -can I fix it or call tech?

gomerpyle

Reaction score
I have the following error code on my washtech: 016 End position not reached Limit switch, outside
It errors out when the brushes are at the back of the car.

Still learning about this system. Is this something as simple as a switch replacement or is it more involved and should call for repair?

I appreciate all of your help as I learn about this.

Reaction score
@gomerpyle I would start by cleaning all of your limiter switches, make sure there is no build up or anything blocking them (soda cans stuck under the gantry etc.) . Also they are distance sensitive, I believe you are shooting for about the thickness of a nickel between the limiter switch and the metal stop plates. If you can figure out which limiter switch is erroring out, you can swap them around, and see if your problem moves with the limiter switch. Also when removing and replacing the limiter switches make sure to put a bit of dielectric grease in the connection to the sensor to help keep water, dirt, or corrosion out, and if replacing the limiter switch, USE THE PROPRIETARY RECOMMENDED LIMITER SWITCHES! Do not try to use some other brand off kleenrite etc. as you will cause yourself so many more problems and can have a catastrophic failure.

Make sure to check the limiter switch on your drive wheel in the drivers side of the gantry. The gantry drive wheel has metal "spokes" that count how many pulses it takes to get from one end of your bay to the other (186 pulses from one end to the other etc.). Make sure this drive wheel and corresponding limiter switch are clean and distance between them is within specs. The "end position is not reached" error makes me think that this is where you should start.
Other issues I can think of would be a faulty/shorting wire to the limiter switch, if it has a crack etc. it could be sending errors, if you can figure out which sensor is having the error, follow the wire from end to end to look for nicks/ abrasions.

Did you recently have any service done to the machine? I had a similar error 2 years ago when I replaced the bearings under my gantry and the pulse count from one end of my bay to the other on my drive wheel changed for some inexplicable reason.

Also when does the wash error out? Is it when the full gantry is moving, or when the side brushes come in and start moving around the rear of the car? I.E. which limiter switches to start looking at? If it is when the entire gantry is moving, I would check the drive wheel limiter, and the end stop limiter (located on the back wall side of the gantry on the drivers side.

If it is when the side brushes are moving, check the limiter switches near the side brush motors, and check your gum wheels that the side brushes are moving back and forth on. Try moving your side brushes in and out, and see if one of them hangs up, or the gum wheel moves without the brush moving. If that is the case, look at your gum wheel to see if it is damaged/ separating, clean the rail that they move back and forth on with acetone (we have to do this about every 6 months) and check the tension on the gum wheel to make sure it has enough downward pressure to move the brush and not just spin in place.

Let me know if you need any pictures of the components I'm speaking of, or if you narrow down your issue and I'd be happy to help.

Reaction score
Also I forgot to mention that you can check to make sure a limiter switch is working by placing something metallic under the sensor and seeing if the led light on the sensor lights up. If the sensor doesn't light up when something metal is under it, it is either a bad sensor, or bad wire. This is hit or miss if the wire is intermittently shorting out though.

DakotaHoskins

Reaction score
I have been battling this on our softwash XT. The drivers side brush keep eating the orange roller on top and then it gets stuck on trailer hitches because the wheel is spinning on the track. I’m not sure why the machine keeps deteriorating the wheel.

Reaction score
I have been battling this on our softwash XT. The drivers side brush keep eating the orange roller on top and then it gets stuck on trailer hitches because the wheel is spinning on the track. I’m not sure why the machine keeps deteriorating the wheel.
Just like the tread on a tire they wear down over time, creating less pressure on the rail as the wheel gets smaller. You can adjust the tension on the gum wheel with a bolt up above the wheel. There are like 4 big nuts that you have to loosen first, then you can adjust the tension so that it has enough pressure not to spin. (don't over-tighten, check the torque specs)
Also, make sure the upper rail that the wheels ride on is cleaned with acetone to remove the build up, as this can cause wheel spin also.
We did have one gum wheel once that the whole center hub started to spin within the rubber itself... and I have no explanation for that.

gomerpyle

Reaction score
8th St, This is great information. It is stopping when the side brushes move. I will try and trouble shoot tonight based off your info.

Thanks!
Tom