What's new

WashCard Baystation vs Alternatives

Msaxonii

Reaction score
For those following from my original post about purchasing my first wash, I want to thank you for your words of caution and advice. I've been able to develop a rough business plan and am still researching to figure out what numbers work. One of the comments made was if I was going to go for it, go all in.

One of the things I think needs updating for a successful start is replacing the meter box/pay station. They're currently Ginsan Touchtron with 8 functions and stop, quarters only. I was considering adding Cryptopay to accept credit cards due to low startup cost then found the WashCard Baystation.

As a data hound, I think that WashCard's metrics tracking system will be a big benefit. I found a veteran business startup network so there's a strong possibility that if I can get an investor's help, they won't be local and being able to track everything to show progress or issues could be invaluable. I also think the fundraising and fleet programs are a critical marketing strategy.

Additionally, with 12 functions, it gives me a good base to use to future proof. 7 options currently in use with space to expand for another 4 options, room for air dry to be added down the road, and possibly in Bay vacuum.

Are there any other options to consider giving similar data tracking and fleet option?

You've all been an invaluable resource and I appreciate all suggestions.

For reference, here's a picture of the current Touchtron.

Attachments

Last edited:

bert79

Reaction score
Cryptopay offers metrics for $180 a year. We have it and use it regularly. It is worth the $. I can send a report from ours if you would like to see what it looks like. Cryptopay also offers the ability to do fleets. Count up cryptopay is a MUST for you. You will not be disappointed. As far as meter boxes go I will tell you what was suggested to us. The rotary switch units will cause you fewer headaches than the push button, but if you already have some that work why not use those? Meter boxes are costly. Have you considered new decals? One more thing I think you mentioned earlier was a price increase. We opened our wash a year and a half ago after it sat vacant for 8 years. We totally rehabbed it. The price had been $1.25 before we bought it (but it hadnt run in 8 years). We changed the start price to $2 and have had very few complaints (2 to be exact). We could have gone to $3 I think and been just fine. Just dont sell yourself short.

Last edited:

OurTown

Reaction score
For those following from my original post about purchasing my first wash, I want to thank you for your words of caution and advice. I've been able to develop a rough business plan and am still researching to figure out what numbers work. One of the comments made was if I was going to go for it, go all in.

One of the things I think needs updating for a successful start is replacing the meter box/pay station. They're currently Ginsan Touchtron with 8 functions and stop, quarters only. I was considering adding Cryptopay to accept credit cards due to low startup cost then found the WashCard Baystation.

As a data hound, I think that WashCard's metrics tracking system will be a big benefit. I found a veteran business startup network so there's a strong possibility that if I can get an investor's help, they won't be local and being able to track everything to show progress or issues could be invaluable. I also think the fundraising and fleet programs are a critical marketing strategy.

Additionally, with 12 functions, it gives me a good base to use to future proof. 7 options currently in use with space to expand for another 4 options, room for air dry to be added down the road, and possibly in Bay vacuum.

Are there any other options to consider giving similar data tracking and fleet option?

You've all been an invaluable resource and I appreciate all suggestions.

For reference, here's a picture of the current Touchtron.

Have you checked on the cost of this system? It is a much more complex system and has more to it than Cryptopay. If money was no object we would have it right now. Make a list of pros and cons for each system. Don't forget to include the difficulty in installation, merchant fees, repair cost, replacement cost of swipers and such.

Msaxonii

Reaction score
I asked for a couple reasons.
Cryptopay offers metrics for $180 a year. We have it and use it regularly. It is worth the $. I can send a report from ours if you would like to see what it looks like. Cryptopay also offers the ability to do fleets. Count up cryptopay is a MUST for you. You will not be disappointed. As far as meter boxes go I will tell you what was suggested to us. The rotary switch units will cause you fewer headaches than the push button, but if you already have some that work why not use those? Meter boxes are costly. Have you considered new decals? One more thing I think you mentioned earlier was a price increase. We opened our wash a year and a half ago after it sat vacant for 8 years. We totally rehabbed it. The price had been $1.25 before we bought it (but it hadnt run in 8 years). We changed the start price to $2 and have had very few complaints (2 to be exact). We could have gone to $3 I think and been just fine. Just dont sell yourself short.
I do think new decals would be a starting point and good to refresh the look. I'm working on a three stage business plan-- short, medium, long term goal. I understand redoing the meter box would be a cost, but I also don't want to shy away from admitting that it's something that will need to be done at some point. The current system is limited to 8 functions. For me to do additional services, like air dryers, triple foam, and possibly in bay vacuums in long term, I'm going to need to do some upgrades. I would rather have the planning done right to prevent making quick fixes for the short term that will need reworked for the long term. I'm not opposed to working with what I have, but what I have is what worked for a different time.

The other thing that struck me about the BayStation system is the flexibility in promotions and pricing individual options. I thought that would be a good for marketing new additions or to reinvigorate options not being used.

OurTown,

I understand that the cost may be prohibitive in situations. My bigger question is if I want the capabilities of the system, what alternatives are there, even if I have to piecemeal them together? I know I'm green and trying to research on my own because I know you guys are busy, but equipment manufacturer marketing is targeted to sell equipment and real world application is usually a different animal.

Let me pose it a different way. Is there an alternative that will:

Price Flexibility. Let me modify the price for specific functions. Specifically, when I add a new feature or run a promotion, can I have that function discounted for a period of time? If I add a central vacuum system to offer vacuuming in the bay, could I run it as a free vacuum after other functions on the system are used?

Bay ads. I think this may be more targeted for colocated washes, but I'm looking at a different angle than pure profitability. A system for in bay advertising for other local businesses, community engagement, e.t.c would be a benefit on a variety of levels. First is the obvious revenue generation. Second is the community engagement in local groups to be able to get visibility for their programs and drive further involvement in the community.

Marketing. I think that marketing in today's era is more important than anything. Marketing is what creates a person to think they need something that they didn't think about before. But I haven't looked into this yet and there are so many angles that I need to look at before asking anything else.

Reaction score
The baystations are really nice. They accept many forms of payment and have tons of features. I was quoted 50k to put them in a 6 bay ss. Too rich for my blood. I remember there being some recurring costs as well that I wasn't too thrilled about. Awesome customer interface but could not justify the return on investment.

Jram

Reaction score
New to the forum the equipment listed below the messages what does it mean

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
New to the forum the equipment listed below the messages what does it mean
It's how that particular member's car wash is equipped. I suggested that everyone list some particulars like that in their signature line, in the hope that it would help in diagnosing issues. I got the idea from the RV forum where it works quite well.

JLanman

Reaction score
We (Touch4Wash) offer our Control Center model. It can give you all the bells and whistles of the Touch4Wash platform plus the added features of wash counts, enhance wash stacking and employee time keeping. I don't know all your equipment but most likely you would not need to upgrade your current equipment.
Base unit $6,500. Let me know if you would like more information.
Jim

Etowah